North Shore Report

Rate this topic

C Bass

I had no issues finding pogies today despite the fleet of commercial pogie boats. It kind of felt like the dog days of summer, I marked very few bass and some of my other reliable tactics were ineffective.  mackerel were hard to find too. Interestingly found juvenile herring in the river with some bass on them but couldn’t get a bite with my artificials I offered.  

last Wednesday I caught dozens of nice bass  and a 82 inch tuna, this week hard to find a Mack. Give it time and it will get better, don’t give up! 

On 7/20/2022 at 4:52 PM, unskunk said:

have they been using spotter planes?

Only three pogie boats today. One was using a spotter.  They'll be no pogie boats soon because the number of pogies still around aren't worth the price of gas.  There are still pogies and there are still keepers out there but the days of a dozen keepers on the fly (or a live pogie) are long gone. 

Only got a handful of Macks today but suspect it was due to the pollack dominating the water. Schoolies  to 27” but fishing slightly deeper waters (40-60’).

Did not see any schools of pogies but saw a few dead ones floating. 

Our treat of the day was a decent sized squid. Talked to a guy on the water in another boat and he said he just caught a striper that puked up a bunch of squid. 

Edited by NHAngler

1 hour ago, NHAngler said:

Only got a handful of Macks today but suspect it was due to the pollock dominating the water. Schoolies  to 27” but fishing slightly deeper waters (40-60’).

One trick we use for macks(to use for tuna) is to get out on our best #1 always money inshore Mack spot at night...as we head offshore before dawn. Used to be we waited til first light to grab our macks, but we blew hours waiting for the rising sun to illuminate the water column just before dawn..and kick in the sunrise Mack activity.

Now we pull up in full darkness, and flip on the underwater fish lights. Could be zilcho on the sounder, initially..but in minutes we have swarms of Macks under the boat in the light. A sabiki with nighttime glow bead or whatever makes it even easier, though I'm not sure a glow sabiki is even necessary with the fish lights.

Edited by rst3

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

Going to be up around the Newburyport / Ipswich area this weekend with some time to kill. Can anyone suggest a good spot to try my luck at? Been out a handful of times so far this summer and have yet to catch anything, looking to change my beginners luck.

13 hours ago, NHAngler said:

Only got a handful of Macks today but suspect it was due to the pollock dominating the water. Schoolies  to 27” but fishing slightly deeper waters (40-60’).

Since you mention pollack. Do tuna eat the small one like Mack sizes?

The local pier I've been fishing squid off on has tons of little pollacks ~8-10". I saw people catching them on bait lol...

4 hours ago, Camhabib said:

Going to be up around the Newburyport / Ipswich area this weekend with some time to kill. Can anyone suggest a good spot to try my luck at? Been out a handful of times so far this summer and have yet to catch anything, looking to change my beginners luck.

Nobody is going to give you any spots on here and against the forum rules.

Maybe go to Surfland B&T for some suggested locations or general areas to try - they get lots of reports from those visiting and the locals. Trade some $ for some gear and bait to support an age old local shop + get some valuable advice for free. 

Good luck on your trip. Can be a hard time of year mid-day when it gets warm with bright skies. You will have lots of company in most public fishing places.

4 mins ago, NHAngler said:

Nobody is going to give you any spots on here and against the forum rules.

Maybe go to Surfland B&T for some suggested locations or general areas to try - they get lots of reports from those visiting and the locals. Trade some $ for some gear and bait to support an age old local shop + get some valuable advice for free. 

Good luck on your trip. Can be a hard time of year mid-day when it gets warm with bright skies. You will have lots of company in most public fishing places.

Appreciate it! Wasn't aware it was against forum rules, apologies for that.

Here's the deal.

You are set out to go fishing, you have your car loaded up, but.. you want a bit of info to set you straight.  You query the bait shop, and they set you straight.  You're still one angler that will hit the spot or spots with the Intel you got from the shop.. 1 person. Now let's look at Intel on this forum..

You are going fishing, you have car loaded up and you need to get some Intel just to get you straight. You hop on your phone and ask away on a forum, you get Intel and you hit the spot.  You, 1 person....but... That Intel is reaching 100000 others... And they share it... Now the spot is gone.  Kaput.  Because the Intel reached too far too fast too easy..  

So yes, it's may seem frustrating to have to go to an IN PERSON contact to get Intel, but that method is much more controlled.

20 mins ago, chisler said:

Here's the deal.

You are set out to go fishing, you have your car loaded up, but.. you want a bit of info to set you straight.  You query the bait shop, and they set you straight.  You're still one angler that will hit the spot or spots with the Intel you got from the shop.. 1 person. Now let's look at Intel on this forum..

You are going fishing, you have car loaded up and you need to get some Intel just to get you straight. You hop on your phone and ask away on a forum, you get Intel and you hit the spot.  You, 1 person....but... That Intel is reaching 100000 others... And they share it... Now the spot is gone.  Kaput.  Because the Intel reached too far too fast too easy..  

So yes, it's may seem frustrating to have to go to an IN PERSON contact to get Intel, but that method is much more controlled.

Makes perfect sense. I was planning on stopping by Surfland to have a look around since I saw it mentioned here a few times, I'll make sure to pick up a couple things and ask for any advice while I'm there.

16 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Anybody recommend a B&T shop in Gloucester?

Be there the week of the 8th. 

Fisherman's Outfitter is not to be missed if you are in town. But it is geared more towards the tuna crowd. Good guys there for sure. Have not been in for 4 years so don't know if they have adjusted their business platform. Surfland and Tomo's in Salem are two others on the list to check out....