C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

7,941 posts in this topic

Macks have also reportedly been **somewhat hard to come by just north of the border— at least inshore.. at the usual locations.

Can't speak to "offshore" schools in Deepwater & around typical tuna territory, because my friends and I haven't been out there yet.

But 1st rod and reel tuna have been caught(80" class & skinny), so we'll be out there soon enough. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mackerel luckily easy to catch this week. Hopefully stays this way. I got tired of catching small fish this week so I did some trolling in deep water using live Macks  and put up some nice slots and a 44 incher. That fish swam away successfully but will likely be caught by a commercial guy next week. 

Edited by GradyDave

Posted (edited) · Report post

Really nice morning. Got macks at my first go to spot. Then to a deep water area I had been given the heads up on. No boats anywhere close. Then only a handful showed over next 4 hours, two of which were owned by friends. Got into some big fish... Only one that was within the slot limit. Was able to see wolfpacks of bass swimming by and have no idea why they were there... No structure except a gong. Was fun to put one of those boats on fish, as they were going to head back inshore and I called them over. It has been three years since I had a day even close to this....

Edited by nightfighter

Mackerel suuuucked for us today. Got two in four hours. Figured we'd throw artificials, then found big, coherent schools of bunker. Bass were all over them and aggressive, if you missed snagging a bunker somehow, one or two bass would chase the treble right to the boat. Couldn't get one to take an SP though, so I stopped monkeying around and livelined exclusively. Half the fish were over or under the slot, but plenty of action either way.

Similar observation today Salem to Manchester, no Macs (got one with chum) - though lots of large happy bunker pods to snag. Live lined some and got wolf packs of stripers hitting them, playing with them, following to the boat, but most wouldn't commit to actually grabbing.

6 hours ago, Striper1851 said:

Similar observation today Salem to Manchester, no Macs (got one with chum) - though lots of large happy bunker pods to snag. Live lined some and got wolf packs of stripers hitting them, playing with them, following to the boat, but most wouldn't commit to actually grabbing.

We got several fish letting the hooked bunker lag well behind the school, including the big one of the day. Maybe the pack under the schools were too distracted, while the ones on the peripheries welcomed an easy snack? Wish I had brought a spook though.

It's funny how pogie boats can come in and deplete the whole area.......

It's happened to me 3 times........

A good May turned into an even better June. Last week has been lights out with some really quality fish caught. Glad my move out of state has been pushed back to September. I haven’t put in nights like this in a long time, but fishing with two guys 39 and 42 years younger is driving me and I can still hang. All fish have been surf caught on live or rigged eels. Past 4 nights one of us has landed at least one fish above 40 pounds. 30’s have been common since mid month. Had our first eels bitten off last night so unfortunately I would say some blues have made it to the North Shore. I am expecting a July lull until the “fall” run of big fish that historically happens in this locale. Also don’t know when the sunrise beach yoga became a thing, but have had some great scenery walking off the beach at first light and quite a few are topless!

2 mins ago, Lakertaker said:

A good May turned into an even better June. Last week has been lights out with some really quality fish caught. Glad my move out of state has been pushed back to September. I haven’t put in nights like this in a long time, but fishing with two guys 39 and 42 years younger is driving me and I can still hang. All fish have been surf caught on live or rigged eels. Past 4 nights one of us has landed at least one fish above 40 pounds. 30’s have been common since mid month. Had our first eels bitten off last night so unfortunately I would say some blues have made it to the North Shore. I am expecting a July lull until the “fall” run of big fish that historically happens in this locale. Also don’t know when the sunrise beach yoga became a thing, but have had some great scenery walking off the beach at first light and quite a few are topless!

....in that case it's alright to spotburn........

On 6/29/2022 at 6:44 PM, Lakertaker said:

It really doesn’t get much better than that as a fisherman.

8 hours ago, Nahanter1 said:

Got into a few mackerel and pollack on the early incoming this am.  had to work to find them... fast bite then nothing..

you find them,  then chum................

13 hours ago, Nahanter1 said:

Got into a few mackerel and pollack on the early incoming this am.  had to work to find them... fast bite then nothing..

Boat / yak/ or shore ? Thx