C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

7,941 posts in this topic

Mackerel frozen is one of the strongest baits I use them and freeze them again to stinking rotten bass still eat them the smellier then better ..frozen herring on the other hand always falls off after while ....

Fished a certain cape ann spot yesterday on what was primarily a fly fishing outing - scored a modest 6 bass to about 20" as well as a handful of pollock. While not the greatest outing, it was pretty cool to site fish to fish that were swimming around in fairly shallow water above a white/very light bottom...Pretty much in a nut shell, the fishing was mostly dead, then a few moved in for about 15-20 min at high tide (which I think was round 2-ish yesterday), then they were gone again after that little flurry. Fished another hour w/ no more bass. Pollock were in around the rocks and I periodically targeted them as I got bored from the lack of action from bass. 

Fished the surf last night on the last of the ebb. First sandbar which is one of my favorite produced nothing. Second bar produced a two slot fish and one above slot. Needlefish produced more fish with a good deal in upper 20 inch range, but bigger fish fell for a metal lip. It will only get better from here. Just need the big river just to the north of where I was to warm up and fish to drop out. Almost eel time!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pretty dead in the Salem/Marblehead/Beverly area this morning though just went with lures and trolling rigs. Maybe next round will try to get some macs for bait.

Edited by Striper1851

12 hours ago, Striper1851 said:

Pretty dead in the Salem/Marblehead/Beverly area this morning though just went with lures and trolling rigs. Maybe next round will try to get some macs for bait.

Macks are in more this week than last week.

My son and I have been pretty much focused on one river system this spring. Our techniques and targets have evolved as the weather warms.

This is how it's been recently;

Carp are ever present and a favorite of mine. Unfortunately, sit n wait bait fishing doesn't keep my fishing buddy happy long if the bite isn't hot.

The pike fishing completely dried up but the bass have taken their place. Smallmouth are in top water mode. They get extremely angry at anything with a wake.

Some surprisingly good largemouth too.

We tried one popular upriver location for stripers several times without seeing much. Cool place though. Got that canal feel to it in terms of size and techniques. Crowd too. But not in a bad way.

Eventually the tides hit right for our old reliable secret spot. They were in.

20220521_140050.jpg

20220604_134521.jpg

20220604_155029.jpg

20220521_115018.jpg

20220604_155926.jpg

20220605_224844.jpg

20220605_233032.jpg

20220605_230344.jpg

This is the week we wait for all year.

One spot that is really only worthwhile for a very short window, on very specific tides, and only at night. 

Back in the day I used to take this week off and fish every night. In recent years it just hasn't been reliable enough to bother. 

This year the fish are following the old patterns and are in decent numbers. Size is down from the glory days when 36 inch "keepers" were the average. Now 27 inch seems average with good numbers of slot fish but no really big ones. Yet.

Unfortunately I can't fish every night. We've gotten out twice so far with one more tonight before life takes over and the favorable tides fade away until next year.

Mostly my son catches them. More and more I find myself standing there, resting my aches and pains, watching the river roll by. Seeing him hookup and fight the fish is exciting enough. 

IMG_20220608_191423_347.jpg

IMG_20220608_191331_772.jpg

10 mins ago, mikez2 said:

This is the week we wait for all year.

One spot that is really only worthwhile for a very short window, on very specific tides, and only at night. 

Back in the day I used to take this week off and fish every night. In recent years it just hasn't been reliable enough to bother. 

This year the fish are following the old patterns and are in decent numbers. Size is down from the glory days when 36 inch "keepers" were the average. Now 27 inch seems average with good numbers of slot fish but no really big ones. Yet.

Unfortunately I can't fish every night. We've gotten out twice so far with one more tonight before life takes over and the favorable tides fade away until next year.

Mostly my son catches them. More and more I find myself standing there, resting my aches and pains, watching the river roll by. Seeing him hookup and fight the fish is exciting enough. 

IMG_20220608_191423_347.jpg

IMG_20220608_191331_772.jpg

Mike, Good for you! Your son is a lucky guy, as are you. "Resting my aches and pain" - yup, that rings a bell... 

There are some bigger fish around.  Got this one on Saturday night.  I did't have a tape, but it was in the 45-47" range based on where it came to on my rod and measuring that later.  

sam

6.12 bass scrubbed.jpg

Seems like it's slowing down in the upper river. Not seeing many herring, action slowed way down.

I already saw fireflies out. Historically for this spot, fireflies mean it's about over.

The favorable tides are done and by the time they roll back around, the river will be warm, the herring gone and stripers dropped down below. 

We didn't get any big ones but almost all we did get were slot or close to it.

IMG_20220610_105519_601.jpg

Lil bit of bait in different spots...couple schoolys othernight and lost probably a slot fish was using 7ft rod... last night was dead until 240am I got at least 6 pounds of squid maybe... more abundant than last few years. All shore bound..

20220618_034444.jpg

All of a sudden it is super difficult to find macks that are typically in their usual haunts.  Not sure what is going on but it it is frustrating!

18 mins ago, Twisted said:

All of a sudden it is super difficult to find macks that are typically in their usual haunts.  Not sure what is going on but it it is frustrating!

I’ve had the same experience. I was previously known as the master baiter, this title is in jeopardy. A lot of talk about pogies around, but I have yet to seen them in reliable numbers. I am usually a bait guy but switched to Al gags and top water spooks and have found success in the early morning hours. 

0F4AB62F-965A-41EE-8A65-6F5A1BA74928.jpeg

41C7593F-6B71-48E4-94A7-8C2A95D4301D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Twisted said:

I've only seen 1 wave of macks so far this year in the usual spots. Seems like they are moving faster than anticipated.