North Shore Report

Rate this topic

C Bass

Dropped the yak in Sunday the 29th in a certain north shore harbor. Boat traffic was hell given it was Memorial Day weekend but managed to grab a decent schoolie in the flats on a mackerel SP. had a handful of follows but fish still seem to be a bit finicky up north. Should really pick up in the next week or so. 

Tight lines fellas!

I fished somewhere between Boston and Gloucester on Sunday as well with my boat for the outgoing. Boat traffic was getting busy but tolerable for my rogue mid-day launch and I almost exclustively fish in the morning. Sadly, it was my first trip out this year. Only managed 1 decent sized short but also one smaller slot. No macks or pogies yet but did catch the slot on a 2021 frozen mack.  

Edited by NHAngler

15 mins ago, NHAngler said:

I fished somewhere between Boston and Gloucester on Sunday as well with my boat for the outgoing. Boat traffic was getting busy but tolerable for my rogue mid-day launch and I almost exclustively fish in the morning. Sadly, it was my first trip out this year. Only managed 1 decent sized short but also one smaller slot. No macks or pogies yet but did catch the slot on a 2021 frozen mack.  

I had a similar experience. I was dropping my lobster traps and decided I would catch my bait rather than buy frozen. Found it very difficult to find macks but managed enough to fill the bait bags.  I caught a sculpin somewhat close to shore and was surprised.

I didn’t mark any bass near open water or near the islands.  Seems like the good fishing is still on the shorelines, rivers and bridges right now in my neck of the woods. 

1 hour ago, GradyDave said:

I didn’t mark any bass near open water or near the islands.  Seems like the good fishing is still on the shorelines, rivers and bridges right now in my neck of the woods. 

Correct and we explored waters that are usually infested with macks. Both fish were caught within casting distance from shore in under 5' of water. 

34 mins ago, NHAngler said:

Correct and we explored waters that are usually infested with macks. Both fish were caught within casting distance from shore in under 5' of water. 

Silly/newbie question - if you were using frozen macks (I assume chunks? ) - how is your tackle and technique look like ? Just casting a hooked chunk and pulling it back?  or you have weight too and cast and wait ?

sorry if it sound silly but it seems I cannot put  two and two together: "did catch the slot on a 2021 frozen mack" and "casting distance from shore in under 5' of water". Thanks! 

p.s. looks like I have time to go out for couple hours today and I still have frozen mack from 2021 . Itch is real :)

5 mins ago, oceanAddict said:

Silly/newbie question - if you were using frozen macks (I assume chunks? ) - how is your tackle and technique look like ? Just casting a hooked chunk and pulling it back?  or you have weight too and cast and wait ?

sorry if it sound silly but it seems I cannot put  two and two together: "did catch the slot on a 2021 frozen mack" and "casting distance from shore in under 5' of water". Thanks! 

p.s. looks like I have time to go out for couple hours today and I still have frozen mack from 2021 . Itch is real :)

No question is silly! There is more than one way to do it. You can do a with a “fish finder rig” to fish the bottom or to fish from shore. I’m always on a boat so if I have a chunk of mackerel I’ll just let it drift with the bail open or if I am using a bait runner I just flip the switch. If I am fishing in heavy surf against rocks I’ll use a bobber to keep the chunk suspended swirling in surf, this technique works great for me. I am sure other guys on here can l elaborate or have even better methods. 

4 hours ago, oceanAddict said:

Chunk Mack on a fish finder is a pretty reliable way to catch slot fish from shore.  I go with as little weight as possible.  I don't want it moving around too much only because it will find a snag so 1 oz pyramid weight on a fish finder is my go to but I'll go weightless if I can.  Let it sit 45 minutes to an hour before checking it/ changing it out.  , Longer if the crabs and lobster are leaving it alone, less if they're all over it.  In surf you can bump it up to 2-3 oz, whatever keeps it from moving.  You'll need a pretty heavy rod to throw a chunk of mack with a 3 oz weight.  

Edited by fishBAD

Ive been out quite a few times in the merrimack by my house in Groveland. Haven't had much luck since I caught that fish a few weeks back :banghd: Not to mention the spots I like to go to are overrun big time these days. I got 6 frozen herring and 3 mackerel and 2 cases of clams in the freezer. Think I'm gonna try my luck tomorrow with the clams and a herring and mack. Fingers crossed... nobody seems to have fresh worms by me.

6 hours ago, fishBAD said:

Chunk Mack on a fish finder is a pretty reliable way to catch slot fish from shore.  I go with as little weight as possible.  I don't want it moving around too much only because it will find a snag so 1 oz pyramid weight on a fish finder is my go to but I'll go weightless if I can.  Let it sit 45 minutes to an hour before checking it/ changing it out.  , Longer if the crabs and lobster are leaving it alone, less if they're all over it.  In surf you can bump it up to 2-3 oz, whatever keeps it from moving.  You'll need a pretty heavy rod to throw a chunk of mack with a 3 oz weight.  

8 'n bait..........

15 hours ago, oceanAddict said:

Learn how to fish with lures way more fun and satisfying.

1 min ago, Reed422 said:

Learn how to fish with lures way more fun and satisfying.

This is interesting statement as I was always under impression that throwing lures/plugs is less "scientific" for a luck of better words :)  

Anyway. I tried both yesterday. I'm lucky enough to live walking distance from shore so I grabbed my frozen mack, improvised fishfinder rig, few swimmers and spent couple hours on the rocks. I used lightweigh gear as I had low hopes,  timing was not perfect as I came just before low tide. So I fed some crabs with mack chunks and switched to throwing swimmers. Got two bites but was not able to hook it. 

Afterthoughts: frozen mack doesn't stay on the hook for long and falling apart quick. I better get my yak ready and stop fishing from shore..  Thank you everyone for sharing. I feel like I'm back to the game.   

29 mins ago, oceanAddict said:

This is interesting statement as I was always under impression that throwing lures/plugs is less "scientific" for a luck of better words :)  

Anyway. I tried both yesterday. I'm lucky enough to live walking distance from shore so I grabbed my frozen mack, improvised fishfinder rig, few swimmers and spent couple hours on the rocks. I used lightweigh gear as I had low hopes,  timing was not perfect as I came just before low tide. So I fed some crabs with mack chunks and switched to throwing swimmers. Got two bites but was not able to hook it. 

Afterthoughts: frozen mack doesn't stay on the hook for long and falling apart quick. I better get my yak ready and stop fishing from shore..  Thank you everyone for sharing. I feel like I'm back to the game.   

Don't go too light there are big fish in them rocks. Try a pencil popper, zara spook, jumpin minnow, weightless 9" sluggo and when it's rough go for a bottle plug, bottle darter or a heavy needlefish. I'm way too delicate to get my hands all stinky from chunkin. I won't touch that less scientific subject but my opinion is in strong disagreement. 

15 hours ago, Reed422 said:

Don't go too light there are big fish in them rocks. Try a pencil popper, zara spook, jumpin minnow, weightless 9" sluggo and when it's rough go for a bottle plug, bottle darter or a heavy needlefish. I'm way too delicate to get my hands all stinky from chunkin. I won't touch that less scientific subject but my opinion is in strong disagreement. 

Thanks for advice, I have to switch back to regular/heavier gear next time. And you probably right on lures vs chunks. I just not really familiar with shore fishing with chunks and thus using lures seems more familiar/easier. I'm sure there are lot of thoughts and knowledge going into it.

When I troll dead mackerel, I use them whole and do it with a small keel weight. 1-2 oz. This keeps the line from twisting. Also, and I don’t always do this but I brined the last batch of mackerel last year before freezing them. This keeps them a bit firmer and they will not fall apart as easy. 

Also agree that way more fish can be caught using artificial baits right now but sometimes we have to adjust for those fishing with us and that was certainly true of this trip.

Best search bait right now? Throw tin and you will win. 

Edited by NHAngler