C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

7,721 posts in this topic

Great AM on the water yesterday.  Plenty of schoolie action around dawn. Ran into tiny Bonito, macks too.  Finished the day off with a nice fat 33” slot fish which I kept … made a bunch of folks happy with fresh striped bass fillets.  

My friend from work took his boat out for the last time this year. I concur with the above, mackerel are near mid-summer form, with teenie bones mixed in. 

Minutes in, we discovered the baitwell pump was dead, and we took turns with a gallon jug refilling it to keep the bait at least somewhat alive.

I discovered my mackerel rod had a cracked tip insert when I broke off two jig/sabiki combos in a matter of seconds. I discovered the sabikis I had stocked up on during a Mustad sale were crappy when I watched them weave into a ball and shed hooks, went through about five of them all told. Got the top hook from one rig in the top of my ear with two mackerel attached when the boat tooed and I froed. Just past the barb, but I was able to pluck it out.

We had a few hits late morning an mid-day, but only one 25" to the boat. I had a run, missed the fish, and when I reeled in to check the bait, the mac had been unhooked form its nostrils, then rehooked in and out its right side behind the dorsal fin. That was new.

There was also the unmistakable sign of the bluefish.

Not terrible for October, given the mishaps.

Saturday Oct 2 was a good day, likely the best of my shortened year. Headed out in a building wind, looking for surface feeds, after getting two schoolies before I even got off my mooring. Located macs heavy in the main harbor channel. Radioed two friends with my bait report and heard they were headed back to where I had just come from, so back to the Salem side. Most were chasing mediocre surface feeds up to Forest River and Lead Mills, but that was not what I wanted to do. Spent most of the outgoing on the same drift, from the shallows into the channel the ferry uses. Bass sitting just over the ledge. Went through all 15 or so macs, and got that many bass. All slot fish, with two pushing over. All sent back. Now I love working a spook and working it to get that hit as much as almost anything. But livelining macs.... that's what I really like! 

Sweat march on Plum Island- according to people IU talked to, I should've been there any other day besides yesterday.  I hooked three solid fish out front and one schoolie in the river.  Not fly rod friendly conditions on the beach surf wise but fun to visit a place I have not fished in close to 30 years.  Depending on tides, I may go back in a couple of weeks.

Schoolies were feeding for hours yesterday in Beverly. Most exciting part of the day may have been seeing a monster bass that followed in a fish right to shore. 

On 10/3/2021 at 4:11 PM, ermghoti said:

My friend from work took his boat out for the last time this year. I concur with the above, mackerel are near mid-summer form, with teenie bones mixed in. 

Minutes in, we discovered the baitwell pump was dead, and we took turns with a gallon jug refilling it to keep the bait at least somewhat alive.

I discovered my mackerel rod had a cracked tip insert when I broke off two jig/sabiki combos in a matter of seconds. I discovered the sabikis I had stocked up on during a Mustad sale were crappy when I watched them weave into a ball and shed hooks, went through about five of them all told. Got the top hook from one rig in the top of my ear with two mackerel attached when the boat tooed and I froed. Just past the barb, but I was able to pluck it out.

We had a few hits late morning an mid-day, but only one 25" to the boat. I had a run, missed the fish, and when I reeled in to check the bait, the mac had been unhooked form its nostrils, then rehooked in and out its right side behind the dorsal fin. That was new.

There was also the unmistakable sign of the bluefish.

Not terrible for October, given the mishaps.

Ouch , I hear ya on the cheap sabiki rigs but don't think I've ever tried to use them as jewelry when they were failing to snag macs. 

But one night fishing my friend was tying a knot and grabbed the line with his teeth to tighten the knot 

..well you know how that turned out ! Sliped out of his teeth the treble hook went through his lip our night fishing ended and turned into a night in the ER. The Doc got a good laugh out oof it even posed for a few pics pointing at him and laughing.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:50 AM, Northshore Bob said:

Great AM on the water yesterday.  Plenty of schoolie action around dawn. Ran into tiny Bonito, macks too.  Finished the day off with a nice fat 33” slot fish which I kept … made a bunch of folks happy with fresh striped bass fillets.  

Boat or shore? Im contemplating one last north shore excursion...

11 hours ago, SettingHooks said:

Ouch , I hear ya on the cheap sabiki rigs but don't think I've ever tried to use them as jewelry when they were failing to snag macs. 

But one night fishing my friend was tying a knot and grabbed the line with his teeth to tighten the knot 

..well you know how that turned out ! Sliped out of his teeth the treble hook went through his lip our night fishing ended and turned into a night in the ER. The Doc got a good laugh out oof it even posed for a few pics pointing at him and laughing.

Every time I tie a hook on line heavier than 10lb test I can clearly see myself in the ER waiting room.

6 hours ago, bdowning said:

I was out on a boat but the schoolie action was certainly reachable from the shoreline.  The teensie weensie bones were too for that matter.  I was getting them on a 5/8 Hogy epoxy jig (same with the macs but they were out in 40-50').  Bass were hitting 4" swim shad.  The bigger one went for my last worm on the T/W... a shriveled up mostly dead one at that.  

10 hours ago, bdowning said:

I would definitely go on that excursion, blitzing fish all morning last two days (shore) 

10 hours ago, ermghoti said:

Every time I tie a hook on line heavier than 10lb test I can clearly see myself in the ER waiting room.

I'm gonna dig that picture up and post it, it's an instant classic. After I find the Pic maybe I'll tell ya an even better story about the same guy but this time he's hunting.