C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

7,535 posts in this topic

Went back to the same pile of Cape Ann rocks and had a so so afternoon/early evening...I started with the fly rod and didn't do much - one small 10" mac and a hickory shad (another guy was using a sabiki rig and was doing ok with mackerel, although I wouldn't label his success as 'killing it')....I switched to throwing unweighted soft plastics and came up with a dozen bass (no keepers, and in fact only eclipsed the 20" twice)...High tide was roughly between 6 and 7 PM and most of the striper action was in that time slot...Did get poured on once, but wasn't too bothered. Had a good rain jacket on which kept my upper body dry - but didn't wear rain pants and shorts got wet (I seem to fare ok as long as my upper body is dry and warm...wet cold legs don't bother me)

Edited by albacized

Monday night just after the ride turned just outside of Salem harbor caught two on fresh chunked macs.... one was just under slot and one was smaller... water was super calm. Didn’t see much, both were surprises. 

Curious to hear how everybody’s season is going. It’s been a little bit strange for me compared to past years. Finding mackerel has been very easy and finding them close to shore as well. Not a single pogie school found in my area north of Lynn. Several times have had to work harder than normal to find schoolie.  However I’m excited to say I’m finding very large fish up to 40 inches on rock piles shores and structure that last year wasn’t so easy. I’m even finding cows on hot days in the middle of the afternoon which, in years past I would struggle with that more.

Edited by GradyDave

3 mins ago, GradyDave said:

Curious to hear how everybody’s season is going. It’s been a little bit strange for me compared to past years. I’m even finding cars on hot days in the middle of the afternoon which, in years past I would struggle with that more.

Not to spot burn,, but I usually scope out 128 or 93 when I'm targeting cars during the day.

7 mins ago, GradyDave said:

Actually finding a car has been harder than fish recently! New car dealers have no inventory.

It's True My brother is the GM of one of the biggest Toyota dealerships in New England and he had under 100 cars on his lott a couple weeks ago.

As for fishing I haven't seen as many 40 + fish as I have in the past but there's always more small fish this time of year and I've only been Skunked twice so its been an ok season.

How have the macks been around the north shore (typical spots)? I haven't been out in a few weeks but was told today that macs are nowhere to be found in the salem/misery/beverly area. Found that hard to believe. 

Any info? I'm heading out tomorrow and will report back too. 

2 hours ago, GradyDave said:

Curious to hear how everybody’s season is going. It’s been a little bit strange for me compared to past years. Finding mackerel has been very easy and finding them close to shore as well. Not a single pogie school found in my area north of Lynn. Several times have had to work harder than normal to find schoolie.  However I’m excited to say I’m finding very large fish up to 40 inches on rock piles shores and structure that last year wasn’t so easy. I’m even finding cows on hot days in the middle of the afternoon which, in years past I would struggle with that more.

My largest fish of the year came 92 degrees direct sun at around noon. And I believe we are fishing the same area so no coincidence there.

1 hour ago, NorthShore_236 said:

How have the macks been around the north shore (typical spots)? I haven't been out in a few weeks but was told today that macs are nowhere to be found in the salem/misery/beverly area. Found that hard to believe. 

Literally filled my livewell in 10 minutes yesterday. Two weeks ago was a different story. 

Grady - thanks for the report. I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon with my young kids looking to put them on some macs (and maybe some bass) to screw around for a few hrs. Glad to hear they are around in numbers. 

Edited by NorthShore_236

5 hours ago, NorthShore_236 said:

End of last week they were around  Nahant got'em couple hours before high and it's all the stripes were hitting . 

Edited by SettingHooks