North Shore Report

Rate this topic

C Bass

9 hours ago, GradyDave said:

Last time out I had an issue with gut hooking schoolies even though I am using  Circle hooks, I have been using 8/0 gamagatsu hooks, tried 6/0 as well. Probably guy hooked 50%. I was using live macks with baitrunner reels. Never had this issue before. Any advice? 

Try a snell knot and make sure you are not leaving too much slack in your line.

19 hours ago, fishBAD said:

I think there are more up here than people realize.  I'm not trying to start a political debate but if we think cold water species like Cod and Lobster are being pushed out due to warming waters then it stands to reason warm water species would move in to take their place.

I agree that there are more up here than people think.  I'm going to try and put some time in and see if I can put together a decent catch of fluke up here.

Sam

On 7/31/2020 at 0:21 PM, GradyDave said:

Last time out I had an issue with gut hooking schoolies even though I am using  Circle hooks, I have been using 8/0 gamagatsu hooks, tried 6/0 as well. Probably guy hooked 50%. I was using live macks with baitrunner reels. Never had this issue before. Any advice? 

Are they offset?

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.

Got into a bit of an argument with a rockport homeowner. He accused me of trespassing which I did not do. I told him that I accessed the spot below the high tide mark. At which point he told me that I was a liar and that the rocks were too slippery to get to where I was. I then proceeded to leave through the slippery rocks he claimed I didn’t go through. He actually had the nerve to ask me how fishing was. I ignored him and walked away. Not worth it to get into it with him. Someone that lived nearby really wanted to call the cops to prove the guy was wrong. I told him I appreciated the support but it wasn’t worth it. 

19 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Got into a bit of an argument with a rockport homeowner. He accused me of trespassing which I did not do. I told him that I accessed the spot below the high tide mark. At which point he told me that I was a liar and that the rocks were too slippery to get to where I was. I then proceeded to leave through the slippery rocks he claimed I didn’t go through. He actually had the nerve to ask me how fishing was. I ignored him and walked away. Not worth it to get into it with him. Someone that lived nearby really wanted to call the cops to prove the guy was wrong. I told him I appreciated the support but it wasn’t worth it. 

It's always best to take the high road.  I've taken the low road a few times and feels satisfying at first, then the consequences come back to bite you, no matter how right you may have been.  

5 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

Are they offset?

Great question. They are not however.  That day they were feeding very aggressively even breaching the surface while I fought them to the boat. I wonder if they just inhaled them so aggressively it caused it. Never had it happen before. 

12 hours ago, GradyDave said:

Great question. They are not however.  That day they were feeding very aggressively even breaching the surface while I fought them to the boat. I wonder if they just inhaled them so aggressively it caused it. Never had it happen before. 

I remembered an important detail: back when I was fishing herring regularly, I would let them swim free or under a float/balloon, and I always hooked them just behind the dorsal. Lately I've nose-hooked mackerel drifting in a boat, and I've gut-hooked a few. I'm going to try returning to hooking them in the back, that should gain an additional 3-4" of wiggle room before disaster strikes. I'll use a balloon if they won't swim right.

The trick when back-hooking is to insert at an angle so the hook can't swing over and bury the point back into the bait.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

13 mins ago, ermghoti said:

I remembered an important detail: back when I was fishing herring regularly, I would let them swim free or under a float/balloon, and I always hooked them just behind the dorsal. Lately I've nose-hooked mackerel drifting in a boat, and I've gut-hooked a few. I'm going to try returning to hooking them in the back, that should gain an additional 3-4" of wiggle room before disaster strikes. I'll use a balloon if they won't swim right.

The trick when back-hooking is to insert at an angle so the hook can't swing over and bury the point back into the bait.

I have been back hooking and haven’t paid too much attention to that detail, I will give that a closer look, thank you!

17 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

It's always best to take the high road.  I've taken the low road a few times and feels satisfying at first, then the consequences come back to bite you, no matter how right you may have been.  

Take the high road being finding a new spot?

Tried to fish the storm yesterday at around 7 pm.  Surf was crazy, huge waves, strong winds. Unfortunately, the water was already too dirty by the point so I could not do much aside from top water. Ended up getting skunked.

Is the water still dirty for today? any thoughts as to when it might clear up?