C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

8,175 posts in this topic

Had a few hours to kill last night. “Borrowed” a mooring for a few hours in Danvers river tossing froze chunks. Managed two schoolies in as many hours on the outgoing. 

9 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Boat Report: 

Fished Lynn to Winthrop with TJA in the Boat. Tossing plastics and TJA brought eels. 
4 hour trip using side imaging sonar shooting   100' to the left and 100' to the right. Empty for us in Lynn and empty for us in Winthrop. 

From my experience fishing this sector in season it has been feast or famine and day to day other than a good 10 day push in June when it was large bass consistently and thankfully easy fishing. 

Ugh. :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, GradyDave said:

I’m going out early Saturday morning in the Salem Beverly area, prob at 5am with my father. Any advice, are eels more of a night thing or can I try them at sunrise? I was hoping for pogo schools last couple times out but they aren’t always in abundance and my dad has a bad back and doesn’t like when I run and gun. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Northbar bottle darter jr loaded has been producing for me with pogies around or not around. Especially in rough water.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:03 PM, GradyDave said:

I’m going out early Saturday morning in the Salem Beverly area, prob at 5am with my father. Any advice, are eels more of a night thing or can I try them at sunrise? I was hoping for pogo schools last couple times out but they aren’t always in abundance and my dad has a bad back and doesn’t like when I run and gun. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm heading down there now. Eels work all times of the day but get expensive when you start catching schoolies as they will eat them like spaghetti. 

On 6/22/2020 at 6:53 PM, heatjay said:

Not sure why the forum won’t let me delete this quote box. Moderators feel free to delete (this is Justin not heatjay)

First fish in weeks this morning in a rip near the Saugus river. Got 3 on clams, they were hitting the sp minnow but no hookups.

E0D961EC-5D8F-458F-B971-81EBE6388EB7.jpeg

Which public ramp is the most user friendly for fishing around revere/winthrop/Nahant?  I tried toms bait and it was a bad experience lol . Lynn, dunkins is tough to do as well. 

The Winthrop pubic ramp (707 Shirley St, Winthrop - near the water treatment plant) has great parking ($5) and a brand new ramp/slip. However, for some reason the brand new slip was designed with a bridge 60' out from the ramp at high tide making it hard to tie your boat up if doing alone. Also be careful at low tide in the channel getting in to it, watch the markers. A little further north is my personal favorite for many years - Salem Winter Island Public Ramp ($5) - double wide grated concrete with docks right along both sides of the ramp making it easy even when by yourself and great parking right off the ramp unless you get there late (but they have backup area). Gets you right into Salem Harbor so just around Marblehead to get to Revere/Nahant.

Plenty of low 20" fish on soft and hard plastic - more follows than hookups.  I've been dragging pogies with no luck.  But then again, I haven't been out much this season.  

53 mins ago, Striper1851 said:

The Winthrop pubic ramp (707 Shirley St, Winthrop - near the water treatment plant) has great parking ($5) and a brand new ramp/slip. However, for some reason the brand new slip was designed with a bridge 60' out from the ramp at high tide making it hard to tie your boat up if doing alone. Also be careful at low tide in the channel getting in to it, watch the markers. A little further north is my personal favorite for many years - Salem Winter Island Public Ramp ($5) - double wide grated concrete with docks right along both sides of the ramp making it easy even when by yourself and great parking right off the ramp unless you get there late (but they have backup area). Gets you right into Salem Harbor so just around Marblehead to get to Revere/Nahant.

Thanks for the info 

Posted (edited)

Marblehead to Swampscott....Das Boat....they were blasting squid. New moon may be good this week.  Enjoy it!  Heading to Maine for smallies. 

6090379C-E462-4708-A9FC-4001C28BB506.png

944AE53B-89D6-479C-8178-CEB50A5491B3.png

Edited by The Riddler

HOT SUMMER!! fishing from shore this morning sucked no mackerel schooly everywhere but floundering is great caught 2 fluke from pier I know haven't put much time in doesn't help good luck out there 

Finally a big fish.   One pogie got so beat up by a school of small stripers it was bloody and had bruises when I pulled it from the water.  

11 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Finally a big fish.   One pogie got so beat up by a school of small stripers it was bloody and had bruises when I pulled it from the water.  

Can you snag pogies at night?  Went out one twice during the weekend. In then morning there were bunch of pogies but no fish.  

Second trip out managed some macks and got into fish but all smalls. 

51 mins ago, heatjay said:

Can you snag pogies at night?  Went out one twice during the weekend. In then morning there were bunch of pogies but no fish.  

Second trip out managed some macks and got into fish but all smalls. 

Sure if you can find a school.  I have had luck snagging pogies at night this year from shore.  They are boxed into a tight wharf.  They are spread out but there are enough of them in there that I have had success snagging one for bait 3/4 trips.  That said if I had a boat I would check mooring fields and near cans.  You could always push off a bit before sunset to increase your odds.