C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

6,789 posts in this topic

Last weekend I had a ton of follows and almost no bites despite a day of hard fishing dawn til dusk from the rocks. I tried everything, but maybe it was a bit too calm and clear. At one point I did have two very big cows follow my fly right to my feet. Definitely 40-plus. I know they are there. Saw what I believe was a minke whale at about 300 yards, my second shore whale sighting in as many years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, Sngl2th said:

Last weekend I had a ton of follows and almost no bites despite a day of hard fishing dawn til dusk from the rocks. I tried everything, but maybe it was a bit too calm and clear. At one point I did have two very big cows follow my fly right to my feet. Definitely 40-plus. I know they are there. Saw what I believe was a minke whale at about 300 yards, my second shore whale sighting in as many years. 

Same here.  They are really keyed in on specific bait.  It was odd to only boat 3 fish when there were clearly hundreds around.  Flies worked better than lures.  To avoid schoolies I started throwing a huge Hogy softbait which got dozens of follows but no hookups.  To seal the deal in those situations, I use smelly jelly.  Sadly, I didn't have any. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teasers have been pretty effective the last two outings, so there's something to this small bait stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 7:55 PM, Z0rb0 said:

Not sure if this site has PM feature... I might be able to help you out. In revere as well 

Tried to pm you but like they said you need more posts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Caught what I think was my first keeper yesterday on a 3/4 oz bucktail. Didn't have my tape measurer on hand so just released the fish, probably between 26-30". 2 other schoolies mixed in off the rocks of cape ann. With the water having a lot of seaweed the past few days I've found that the bucktail has been the most productive.

Edited by joe0306

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Went out yesterday in the Gloucester and rockport area. Pogies infesting heavily as they are everywhere else but did not see them being bothered by anything other than me. Found macks but they were huge.. One was 22”.  Real focus was flounder but struck out. Only schoolies to account for the trip on sluggos and the Daiwa SP. 

Edited by NHAngler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caught a fat near keeper the other day at dusk on a bucktail. It looks like the bigger fish are still coming up as the action looks to be better down south. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AirBend said:

Caught a fat near keeper the other day at dusk on a bucktail. It looks like the bigger fish are still coming up as the action looks to be better down south. 

I wouldn’t hold your breath.  It’s July this week.  Those fish down south are likely staying put.  So what we have now is what will be around until they start moving south in late August or early September...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazed at how thick the bunker schools are this season.   At the same time it seems like the mackerel schools are really thin and hard to find.  Anybody having luck finding macks?  I did manage to find a couple off halfway rock.  Landed a 38” fish In Nahant Bay with one of them so at least the results were good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't speak to Nahant area, but we recently found plenty of macks north of Cape Ann. Mostly full size with some tinkers. And yes, the schools of menhaden this year are ridiculous. Apparently they stretch from the south shore of mass and CCB all the way deep into Maine. Of course, too much of a good thing can sometimes be not so good. The bait to bass ratio must be silly large. Given the numbers, most schools of bunker are probably dry as far as bass go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is a bit off topic but I want to rant about Crane Beach. They are making permit holders reserve tickets in advance, and you can't reserve the same day because of their ridiculous interpretation of our halfwit governor's half-capacity beach policy. I had no pass today because you can't get one the same day. I wanted to fish there and I drove up to ask if I could go in, since it was clear that there would be practically no one there due to the foul weather. But no, they sat there talking to me about "we are in a pandemic." I will literally eat my hat if one person catches coronavirus from a stranger at the beach. These regulations are merely political theater.

 

Crane Beach has gone beyond even the normal Massachusetts love of bureaucratic hurdles. And then Ipswich has temporary parking bans in place along the creeks, because somehow people going kayaking is also going to cause corona.

 

It seems to me the stuck up twits on the coast are simply using this situation as an excuse to make it even harder for people to park and fish. 

Edited by Sngl2th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to have a permit to access that beach. Day or night. Apparently, the cops are now ticketing those without permits after hours as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sngl2th said:

This is a bit off topic but I want to rant about Crane Beach. They are making permit holders reserve tickets in advance, and you can't reserve the same day because of their ridiculous interpretation of our halfwit governor's half-capacity beach policy. I had no pass today because you can't get one the same day. I wanted to fish there and I drove up to ask if I could go in, since it was clear that there would be practically no one there due to the foul weather. But no, they sat there talking to me about "we are in a pandemic." I will literally eat my hat if one person catches coronavirus from a stranger at the beach. I think these regulations are merely political theater.

 

Crane Beach has gone beyond even the normal Massachusetts love of bureaucratic hurdles. And then Ipswich has temporary parking bans in place along the creeks, because somehow people going kayaking is also going to cause corona.

 

It seems to me the stuck up twits on the coast are simply using this situation as an excuse to make it even harder for people to park and fish. 

I hate it there, they are trying their very best to keep that place residents and permit holders only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now