North Shore Report

Rate this topic

C Bass

15 mins ago, foxfai said:

What an interesting information! I often see the information that in European waters (forgot the country) still are able to catch BIG cod from shore. Now this information strikes me if they are all related.

Could only dig for a few minutes (heading off to make a tide..) but I wrangled this up. Not exactly what I was referring to but it does mention distinct subgroups of cod (offshore and inshore). 

Screenshot_20200616-212323_Drive.jpg.732b0d64842eb630c3b8012935af68d5.jpg

Screenshot_20200616-212514_Drive.jpg.106c35384a355f07c78c67bc73a47a36.jpg

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

10 hours ago, mackerel hunter said:

Anyone remember Tar Wharf in Dorchester.  The Neponset River must have been a nursery for inshore cod. Tommy cod as we used  to call the small cod  were always there in abundant numbers.  I never thought about there being two distinct cod populations but in fact there were.

Tar wharf holds a lot of memories Tom cod and cod fish are not the same species of fish The tom cod had scales that came off on your hands when they were handled . I will say that not only was the Neponset River an Nursery, but the head waters of the Merrimack,Charles  Taunton,Fall river, North and South Rivers as well to name a few ,were also Cod would intermingle with the early holdover bass as they would emerge from the brackish fresh water to forage for herring and smelt . Those were the times for me that began in the early Forties when fishing was such we chose when and where and what we would fish on . WE had a strong population of many species swimming our coast lines , until they allowed the draggers inside the 3 mile limits that wiped out all of the fish that were imprinted to invade our coast lines and take a mixture of species never more to be in a survivable state. ONe could also say that other conditions also came into play for the decline, one being an increase of those fishing                                   

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

When I was a kid there used to be a gang of fishermen who'd drive up from the Fall River area to fish cod.  They'd launch  their small aluminum boats out of Caldara's in Buzzards Bay and fish the west end of the canal. 

They had choggies traps they'd set behind Caldara's.  Catch a load of live choggies and throw them in the live well.   Then they'd drift the canal from the MMA to Hog Island using whole choggies on the bottom.   These guys were fishing for huge cod. 15-40lbs.    Likely another fishery we've lost forever.

The Sultan of Sluggo

56 mins ago, joe0306 said:

Can anyone recommend somewhere on the north shore for fresh bait? Ideally not frozen. Thanks

Surfland on Plum Island. They always carry fresh clams and fresh macks. Lots of bait store around that way carry fresh macks in Salisbury. Straight Line, Bridge Road B&T, Crossroads...etc. Call ahead

Know of anywhere on Cape Ann? Plum Island is a pretty far drive from where I am. Thanks.

15 mins ago, Dah seee said:

Surfland on Plum Island. They always carry fresh clams and fresh macks. Lots of bait store around that way carry fresh macks in Salisbury. Straight Line, Bridge Road B&T, Crossroads...etc. Call ahead

Just now, joe0306 said:

Know of anywhere on Cape Ann? Plum Island is a pretty far drive from where I am. Thanks.

You're out of luck on Cape Ann. Three Marine in Gloucester only carry frozen bait. Same with Tomo's and Bridge St B&T in Salem. You are better off jigging  with a sabiki rig for macks off the Dog Water Breakbar if you want live bait. 

Do "inshore" cod break the surface and jump?   We were in Salem harbor a couple weeks ago in about 10-20' of water and a fish that looked to be at least 30" jumped in front of us, clear out of the water.   Had the colors of a cod and mouth shape.  Definitely was not a striper. 

24 mins ago, Devo said:

Do "inshore" cod break the surface and jump?   We were in Salem harbor a couple weeks ago in about 10-20' of water and a fish that looked to be at least 30" jumped in front of us, clear out of the water.   Had the colors of a cod and mouth shape.  Definitely was not a striper. 

At this point anything can happen in 2020. lol