C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

6,870 posts in this topic

I was on the water this morning in the Salem and Beverly harbors. Water temp was about 49-53 depending where I was..found plenty of 20-24” bass on fly..

2782900B-E450-4018-B923-DBE8A26F00AF.jpeg

15 hours ago, xp800 said:

I was on the water this morning in the Salem and Beverly harbors. Water temp was about 49-53 depending where I was..found plenty of 20-24” bass on fly..

2782900B-E450-4018-B923-DBE8A26F00AF.jpeg

Was out late last night fishing lit up bridges,it was non stop action..Got about 60 fish biggest 27 inches..loads of fun ! All on soft swimbaits

On 5/15/2020 at 6:52 PM, Striper1851 said:

Went out yesterday from Salem Winter Island - cruised up to Gloucester then back down to Nahant. Every time saw birds diving went to where they were and saw HUGE schools of something in bait balls between 60' and surface (in hindsight should have took an image of sonar) and maybe 20' wide. We finally saw them on the surface and they were only maybe 1 - 1.5" long and pretty dense. No big fish action around them and no apparent eating. But came across a dozen or more such bait balls up and down coast, with lots of birds, but no big fish feeding.

What are they? Too small to be peanut bunker I think.

Believe it or not, there are huge schools of pogies/bunker/menhaden all around cape ann right now...and for the past week or so. I watched someone snag them with treble hooks this weekend as I didn't believe it at first. These bunker feed on the surface...I saw someone casting to them with a fly rod (maybe thinking they were bass?) The bass up here are too small to eat the pogies at the moment, hoping that changes in the next week or two. 

Yesturday evening I fished my spot in Rockport with my buddy. We both got 2 small schoolies each, biggest at 20". A guy was fly-fishing on the point up from us, he landed atleast one. I had luck with small stuff on a super slow retrieve... Prob cuz the water is still really cold. 

20200517_193033.jpg

I dropped a nice fish at my feet this weekend off the rocks. Looked to have been over 25", a real thrill to feel drag again. Caught about 7 more to 20" on blue/white clouser. Very soft takes. I also had some luck while shad fishing during the week (only got one shad, but a few stripers. Lots of fun on a six weight in current).

I was active on Maine surftalk a couple years ago, but I have moved to Mass. Looking forward to getting to know the folks on here. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 1.29.59 PM.png

I caught a few small bass yesterday in the harbor, water was around 50-52. I've seen schools of bass feeding on silver sides but they wouldn't touch anything I put in front of them. Seems like the fishing from shore in the harbor is more effective than a boat right now LOL.

On 5/18/2020 at 3:44 PM, tailspin said:

Believe it or not, there are huge schools of pogies/bunker/menhaden all around cape ann right now...and for the past week or so. I watched someone snag them with treble hooks this weekend as I didn't believe it at first. These bunker feed on the surface...I saw someone casting to them with a fly rod (maybe thinking they were bass?) The bass up here are too small to eat the pogies at the moment, hoping that changes in the next week or two. 

Snagged a few this morning in the Merrimack

21 hours ago, DJSTheFisherMan said:

I caught a few small bass yesterday in the harbor, water was around 50-52. I've seen schools of bass feeding on silver sides but they wouldn't touch anything I put in front of them. Seems like the fishing from shore in the harbor is more effective than a boat right now LOL.

I'm not sure about that haha. I went out twice after sunset, spent two hours both times - nothing. High tide and water receding. Was throwing topwater lures, swimbait. No luck so far. A lot of seaweed and boulders in the area and I thought it would produce but nothing so far.   

2 hours ago, oceanAddict said:

I'm not sure about that haha. I went out twice after sunset, spent two hours both times - nothing. High tide and water receding. Was throwing topwater lures, swimbait. No luck so far. A lot of seaweed and boulders in the area and I thought it would produce but nothing so far.   

Same here. Fished a north shore river last night, from the dock and my boat, I could see the stripers smiling at me but they had lock jaw and no bites. Stripers on the fish finder. I have had some experiences where before an east wind the bite is poor, maybe that’s just me? 

4 hours ago, GradyDave said:

Same here. Fished a north shore river last night, from the dock and my boat, I could see the stripers smiling at me but they had lock jaw and no bites. Stripers on the fish finder. I have had some experiences where before an east wind the bite is poor, maybe that’s just me? 

Ya I’ve been experiencing the same thing, I’ve been having lots of luck about an 1-2 hours into the incoming tide and at lower tides in general. In general it has been very hit or miss this year.

3 hours ago, DJSTheFisherMan said:

Ya I’ve been experiencing the same thing, I’ve been having lots of luck about an 1-2 hours into the incoming tide and at lower tides in general. In general it has been very hit or miss this year.

Just got back from an outing, took a couple old friends on the boat In Salem Beverly harbor area, found birds breaking the surface , threw some soft plastics into the action and picked up a few schoolies. Threw the sabiki in the water and found they were feeding on what seemed like blueback herring mixed with some very small bait fish (which were only foul hooked)  Lasted briefly because the schools were moving around quite quickly. Hit a nearby cove/ river and picked a couple more schoolies, tHe bite was on and took less effort. 

6 hours ago, DJSTheFisherMan said:

I’m going out tomorrow mornin hopefully I can pick up a few. I’ll definitely report back. Also was it choppy I saw the small craft advisory, should be fine in the harbor ?

Very slight chop. Past the islands had some 2 foot rollers but luckily that’s not where the fish were

Well this sucks.

I spoke with Ipswich PD who kicked me to the Ipswich Health Dept who kicked me to the Town Manager. Short Version. There are no plans to re-open Pavillion Beach to non-residents in the foreseeable future. I was told that concerns about parking pre-Covid along with current Covid restrictions have resulted in the residents only status. There is no timetable to address re-opening to non- residents. 

Bummer!