C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

6,868 posts in this topic

31 mins ago, Northshore Bob said:

Found a decent flounder bite on this beautiful morning.  Four keepers and a throwback.   One real nice one.  A great start to the season.  

705CA756-3081-447E-8C6F-027B43AA4AB2.jpeg

2196BDC7-FA88-4E68-A6F0-3A1B7E16C9B6.jpeg

Looks awesome! Boat/yak or shore? 

Went out yesterday from Salem Winter Island - cruised up to Gloucester then back down to Nahant. Every time saw birds diving went to where they were and saw HUGE schools of something in bait balls between 60' and surface (in hindsight should have took an image of sonar) and maybe 20' wide. We finally saw them on the surface and they were only maybe 1 - 1.5" long and pretty dense. No big fish action around them and no apparent eating. But came across a dozen or more such bait balls up and down coast, with lots of birds, but no big fish feeding.

What are they? Too small to be peanut bunker I think.

15 hours ago, Striper1851 said:

Went out yesterday from Salem Winter Island - cruised up to Gloucester then back down to Nahant. Every time saw birds diving went to where they were and saw HUGE schools of something in bait balls between 60' and surface (in hindsight should have took an image of sonar) and maybe 20' wide. We finally saw them on the surface and they were only maybe 1 - 1.5" long and pretty dense. No big fish action around them and no apparent eating. But came across a dozen or more such bait balls up and down coast, with lots of birds, but no big fish feeding.

I was on the water yesterday and saw fish jumping on the surface couldn’t tell what they were. Also is it me or have there been more birds than usual ?

I see splashes of bunker frequently jumping out of the water at my spot. I have not been able to catch a fish around the bunker tho, any tips on what to use to specifically target the fish feeding on this bunker? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, joe0306 said:

I see splashes of bunker frequently jumping out of the water at my spot. I have not been able to catch a fish around the bunker tho, any tips on what to use to specifically target the fish feeding on this bunker? 

Bunker have been so thick for several seasons, it is a blessing and a curse. While it is a good food source, it reduces our chances of catching. IMO in where I fish and see them,  most schools don’t have a big pod of feeding fish on them or if there are those fish are nearby waiting between meals. All you can do is to try to match the hatch but be slightly different. That might be to go up in size, down in size, action of bait, cut vs live, etc. Also consider that the feeders are either directly underneath or in clear water just at the edges.

Edited by NHAngler

Posted (edited) · Report post

I went to the north side of cape Ann to make a few casts yesturday late afternoon. Got a couple of follows but no hook up. There were some people fishing with bait and they hooked up on a schoolie. Interestingly the NOAA buoys show the water being warmer on the north side of cape Ann. But those things mess up frequently.

Edited by Aposfai

On 5/15/2020 at 6:52 PM, Striper1851 said:

Sea Herring, its everywhere right now right down to Boston Harbor and beyond. All the action I have had has been bass on Tiny Sea Herring. 

What are you all seeing for water temps up there? 

Its been 44-49 out front of Winthrop/Revere

and 50-53 in the Harbor and tribs. 

1 hour ago, Aposfai said:

I went to the north side of cape Ann to make a few casts yesturday late afternoon. Got a couple of follows but no hook up. There were some people fishing with bait and they hooked up on a schoolie. Interestingly the NOAA buoys show the water being warmer on the north side of cape Ann. But those things mess up frequently.

That could be right on.  We have been dealing with upwell from the winds plummeting water temps.  You fish Thatchers Island you may see 40's but fish Annisquam to Halibut point  and see 51 or so. The low temps make it hard right now but find warmer water it may make a difference. 

4 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Sea Herring, its everywhere right now right down to Boston Harbor and beyond. All the action I have had has been bass on Tiny Sea Herring. 

What are you all seeing for water temps up there? 

Its been 44-49 out front of Winthrop/Revere

and 50-53 in the Harbor and tribs. 

46.3  today, Salem Harbah.........

1 min ago, unskunk said:

46.3  today, Salem Harbah.........

The wind is absolutely killing us right now.  I know the visibility is outstanding but a little healthy puff of SE or E wind in the afternoon and light SW at night will do wonders right now.  It appears we will get some help this week.

17 mins ago, The Riddler said:

The wind is absolutely killing us right now.  I know the visibility is outstanding but a little healthy puff of SE or E wind in the afternoon and light SW at night will do wonders right now.  It appears we will get some help this week.

Herring(sea) everywhere.................

I was seeing surface temps of about 52-53F in Salem Harbor, Beverly and up to Gloucester. A lot of bird action but no fish action under it, at least for me.

More inland - once past the Beverly train bridge into the river jumped up to about 57-58F on the outgoing.