C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

8,175 posts in this topic

Hi Devo,

do you know where I can find the resource that states that this technique is still approved? Also can anybody share feedback on how often the bass are gut hooked on the snag and drop? 

Posted (edited)

There is an FAQ on MASS.gov that answers the question:

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/frequently-asked-questions-regarding-changes-to-recreational-striped-bass-limits-in

12. Can I still snag menhaden for bait?

Yes, but once you’ve snagged a menhaden (generally using a treble hook), you’ll need to transfer it to a circle hook to be used as bait to target striped bass. Once on a circle hook, you can fish the menhaden by live-lining it or as chunk bait. The technique known as "snag and drop" when you snag a menhaden then immediately live line it on the treble hook is now prohibited.

Edited by ThatGuyEric

On 4/22/2020 at 10:25 AM, tailspin said:

I posted that screengrab off my sonar back on the 9th. It was taken in Gloucester. That day there were lots of herring and mackerel present, good bird activity and it seemed like things were going to kick off to an early start...but then this cold front hit and we're back to winter ducks and I haven't marked any bait since then. 

I did see your post.  I was talking about river herring in the herring runs.

sam

6 hours ago, BB2525 said:

Bob..To clarify...Trebles are not allowed for use when fishing for stripers (snag and drop). But you can use them to Snag Pogies to use for live bait.

BB2525,

Maybe I'm wrong?  I'll have to check on the DMF site. :)

32 mins ago, bob_G said:

BB2525,

Maybe I'm wrong?  I'll have to check on the DMF site. :)

no maybe your wrong.

Yes, but once you’ve snagged a menhaden (generally using a treble hook), you’ll need to transfer it to a circle hook to be used as bait to target striped bass. Once on a circle hook, you can fish the menhaden by live-lining it or as chunk bait. The technique known as "snag and drop" when you snag a menhaden then immediately live line it on the treble hook is now prohibited.

Posted (edited)

On 4/27/2020 at 10:54 AM, ThatGuyEric said:

There is an FAQ on MASS.gov that answers the question:

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/frequently-asked-questions-regarding-changes-to-recreational-striped-bass-limits-in

OK, so I took the quote on my post from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries website and the letter they posted last April.   So I guess that has changed?  Because the letter from April '19 say the circle hook rules does not apply to "snag and drop"

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2019/04/25/Striped Bass Advisory_190425.pdf

Edit: I just found the letter that's dated April of this year, and they took out the wording about "snag and drop" being exempt.  So yeah, that is now prohibited.  

https://www.mass.gov/doc/041620-recreational-striped-bass-fishing-measures-for-2020/download

Edited by Devo

I'm not one to break the rules and want to see the stocks recover, but it seems like this leads to a whole lot of "what if" scenarios....

What if I snag a pogie and on the retrieve to transfer it to a circle hook, it gets eaten by a bass? 

What happens if I am targeting bluefish using "snag and drop" and a bass comes in and eats my bait? 

What if.....

What if.....

What if...

Was thinking the exact same thing Tailspin! On that note what size circle hook do you guys prefer while live lining ponies. 7/0, 8/0 or bigger?

1 hour ago, BB2525 said:

Was thinking the exact same thing Tailspin! On that note what size circle hook do you guys prefer while live lining ponies. 7/0, 8/0 or bigger?

A pony is a pretty big bait, I'd go with the biggest hook I could find.

And you're gonna need a bigger boat.

2 hours ago, BB2525 said:

That could be one expensive fishing trip :D

4 hours ago, unskunk said:

just try to explain that to a LEO......

ya, right...........

I hear ya! I don’t intend to explain any of this....moreover I’d be thrilled if there was a LEO around to keep everyone in check! Haven’t seen em in years...

Now that I said that I’ll be the only guy in mass to get shaken down this years...

If you snag a pogy and let it sit there "dropping" you are clearly breaking the law. If you snag a pogy and it gets hit on the retrieve, you are not breaking the law, but when it gets hit and you drop the rod tip and let the striper eat the pogy, you are breaking the law. This is all IMHO, but it is pretty straight forward. So yes sometimes you will still end up hooking a striper when snagging a pogy, but since you did not give it any time to "swallow" there should be no gut hooking... Drop that rod tip (give line) on the hit and you are breaking the rules... All fairly straight forward to me and if a LEO is watching you, fairly straight forward to them.