C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

6,812 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, kidcurrie said:

Short piece of pipe with the right fittings might solve it.

My family has been paying full-time taxes here since 1939, longer than many of the "full time" residence have been alive. Being here means we are not at our small condo in Boston, further helping end this pandemic. I get where your coming from...but this "full time vs summer" argument does not apply to all. 

On 4/23/2020 at 1:29 PM, Captain Tuttle said:

Many towns, Rockport comes to mind, have a lot of public access to beaches.  To thwart outsiders from using these public access points, they made all nearby parking residents only.  

For my last outing, I got dropped off and picked up.  Even then, state police stopped to check out what was going on.  The officer was fine and understanding, but the message is clear - Don't Even Think About Parking Here.  

Here to help. If you want to fish Cape Ann, please send me a PM. I can assist with parking....and if there is none you can park in my yard free of charge and I will take you to and from your favorite spot....provided you are here to fish and abide by the social distancing guidelines.  Hell, once this ends, I would be happy to take folks out in my boat! 

Were all in this together. Let's do our best to make the best of it. 

33 mins ago, tailspin said:

Here to help. If you want to fish Cape Ann, please send me a PM. I can assist with parking....and if there is none you can park in my yard free of charge and I will take you to and from your favorite spot....provided you are here to fish and abide by the social distancing guidelines.  Hell, once this ends, I would be happy to take folks out in my boat! 

Were all in this together. Let's do our best to make the best of it. 

Well that presents quite the conundrum, will they be on a skateboard towed holding the bumper? :wee: 

Just kidding around, it’s a great sentiment.

1 min ago, PlumFishing said:

Well that presents quite the conundrum, will they be on a skateboard towed holding the bumper? :wee: 

Just kidding around, it’s a great sentiment.

I have a really good roof rack.... and an empty bunk trailer.... your pick!     

Lets fish!!!  

Is it against the rules to get a pool going on who catches the first fish over 28" north of Salem" with lice? I'll put in $10. The first post here wins, needs to have a background that is recognizable NS this year. 

Time to re-up that WSJ subscription folks....

Got out on the water yesterday just to make sure the boat worked but did bring along a rod and a few soft plastics.   Worked the Danvers river looking for schoolies but no luck, then took a ride around House Island and Half Way rock.   Ocean water was 43 degrees.  Sonar picked up lots of what I can only assume were macs or other small forage.   Great to be out there.  

Hey guys, will snag hooks be legal this year for the “snag and drop” method when targeting the big stripers under the pogie schools? I heard conflicting opinions from north shore bait shops and fisherman. Also any thoughts on this method is appreciated. Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

No, snag hooks are verboten for recreational anglers. Live and cut bait must be fished using an in line circle hook.  The circle hook cannot be offset. So it appears the ancient tradition of snagging pogies has ended.

Edited by bob_G

Bob..To clarify...Trebles are not allowed for use when fishing for stripers (snag and drop). But you can use them to Snag Pogies to use for live bait.

I ran the Lund out to Jeffries Saturday morning and caught a dinners worth of haddock along with a pile of shorts and rare and endangered cod.  Could have caught more, but, the wind started to come and I had an afternoon family time planned.  I don't usually promise to plan mix off shore with family plans, but, when there is only 1 nice day in a month you have to make exceptions.

sam

You can still fish with live pogies that you snagged with a weighted treble for striped bass using the "snag and drop" technique (casting a snag rig into a school of bunker, snagging a bait, and letting the weight drag the struggling baitfish below the school).

"This circle hook mandate will not apply to natural baits attached to an artificial lure to be trolled, jigged, or casted and retrieved (e.g., tube and worm). Nor will the mandate apply to any natural bait affixed to a treble hook and fished using the snag and drop technique."

So you can still snag a live pogie and leave it out there to run with the weighted treble.