C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

6,305 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Tautog.  But I really can't say because they keep spitting the hook.  They could be black sea bass.  Soft takes like small schoolies, but when you apply pressure they react with incredible force and speed.

Very cool - crab fly?

15 hours ago, stormy monday said:

Got a small keeper on the bottom of the tide from shore and missed a couple pretty solid takes, but I give- what's a white chin?

Bigger male Tagutog (blackfish) have their unique face call a white chin (google it up). 

Went out front for some lunch action today in Beverly, the water was black with schools of pogies, stretched from Jubilee to Salem Willows to Lynch Park. I couldn't get a fly to sink without snagging a pogie for most of time, when I did there was a schoolie waiting to eat it, but they were pretty small. Went back to a different spot for the drop, no pogies but back to the mid-high 20s fish. Just couldn't believe the numbers of pogies though, wow...

Mackerel are still pretty thick, some schools are hilariously small specimens, like 2-3". One of the schools was being hounded by small bass that were taking the metal jigs I use with sabiki rigs, added a little excitement on the light tackle. Swells got pretty big, we decided not to exit the harbor, and called it a day in the late morning.

8/31 - Got out last Friday morning and landed a bunch of schoolies around the Cape Ann area. The biggest being 27" and they all look very robust and healthy. Also, busted my behind when I slipped on black algae on the rocks. The rod took a ding but luckily it was just a scratch on the rod.

9/2 - This morning I drove down a stretch of a shoreline road named after The Big Pond and was surprised to see it was packed with fishermen. I counted about 14 fishermen just on that stretch. I found an opening to fish so I threw plugs for about 45 minutes and had one follow that was about it. Drove down the road more and caught a dink schoolie. Couple of boats drifting really close to the rocks were live lining macks and they looked like they didn't do too good either. 

16 hours ago, Dah seee said:

9/2 - This morning I drove down a stretch of a shoreline road named after The Big Pond and was surprised to see it was packed with fishermen. I counted about 14 fishermen just on that stretch. I found an opening to fish so I threw plugs for about 45 minutes and had one follow that was about it. Drove down the road more and caught a dink schoolie. Couple of boats drifting really close to the rocks were live lining macks and they looked like they didn't do too good either. 

Sounds like you should have been there 9/1.

sam

Good to read at least schoolie fest should be in my home waters  hopefully this week.  Something to do after work. 

Today was a tough day on the fly.  We eventually found a lot of schoolies against the rocks, but it is far from the fall run gluttony I'm used to.  Since the whole season seems to be several weeks behind schedule, I'm hoping for chaos in the weeks ahead.

Just wanted to thank Captain Terry Nugent of the Riptide we had an awesome half-day trip of Albi's .Anybody wants to go on a good Charter this guy works his ass off to get you in the fish.thanks from the Coons family 9/14/19

Screenshot_20190915-171253_Chrome.jpg

16 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Today was a tough day on the fly.  We eventually found a lot of schoolies against the rocks, but it is far from the fall run gluttony I'm used to.  Since the whole season seems to be several weeks behind schedule, I'm hoping for chaos in the weeks ahead.

yeah lets hope its just behind schedule, and not all thats left.