C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

6,265 posts in this topic

Moved recently from NJ to MA, but did mostly fluke fishing down there, no striper fishing. All surfcasting. 

I have fished Newburyport a few times and caught bass each time, the biggest of which only measuring about 20". Size isn't as important to me, as I'm strictly C&R (roommate is allergic to fish), but obviously bigger is better. Any tips for improving the size of the catches? NOT looking for specific spots, tides, conditions, etc., just looking for any friendly tips that won't make anybody upset. I've fished mostly with SP Minnows and Slug Go's so far, I also have some topwaters, metals, and other lures. I prefer fishing lures over bait. 

Thanks!

Things have been spotty and slow on shore around PI front and I have been fishing it 3-4 times a week at night with just a few small keepers to show for. 

Fish at night and throw eels.  Best tides will depend on where you are fishing.  If you are fishing the beach front low incoming is typically the best tide.

Sam

Even with eels, expect a lot of shorts to hit them too. Still, they'll raise your chances considerably for large.

20 hours ago, bass02 said:

Moved recently from NJ to MA, but did mostly fluke fishing down there, no striper fishing. All surfcasting. 

I have fished Newburyport a few times and caught bass each time, the biggest of which only measuring about 20". Size isn't as important to me, as I'm strictly C&R (roommate is allergic to fish), but obviously bigger is better. Any tips for improving the size of the catches? NOT looking for specific spots, tides, conditions, etc., just looking for any friendly tips that won't make anybody upset. I've fished mostly with SP Minnows and Slug Go's so far, I also have some topwaters, metals, and other lures. I prefer fishing lures over bait. 

Thanks!

1. Find somewhere to park

2. go at night / experiment with tides

3. find a spot with rocks or current and more then 5 feet of water at the end of your cast

4. fish slow 

23 hours ago, bass02 said:

Thanks!

go out next week starting with the new moon...Fish,super shallow water along any beach and you will catch a cow....eels, sp minnows and soft plastics will ALL catch you big fish..Ive caught multiple fish over 40 lbs on all them..Good luck..fish 2 days up until New Moon, New Moon night and 2-3 days after..This should get you the quickest results...You only need to be fishing 2-6 feet of water..

On 5/17/2019 at 2:59 PM, BrianOC said:

report anything you see this year to EPO in Gloucester! They will be out in force! do not help them they are selling the fish! Use a Jumping

minnow! 

Jumping Minnow only works in your YouTube videos :cool: