C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

6,292 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Landed a sturgeon few weeks back on a 9’ Tica 1/2-3 and BG3500/15# PP I’d bought at Surfland on my way to the river. Little reel performed admirably. 

(Didn’t catch any bass)

E9B5BB84-E81B-4D48-B849-8217D8660287.jpeg

Edited by PlumFishing

Went offshore and found all of the Macks. Lots and lots and lots of them. Could not bottom fish there were that many and had to move several times to get away from them. Ran into some massive schools of squid that were thick and wide as well. Ocean is big and fish swim? For a good meal? It is not a game of hide and seek for them. Primal instinct of eating guides them for most of their lives. 

For all that post reports of no big fish being caught, please consider that there are those that have signed an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) with the fish gods and cannot tell you about the big fish that they are catching. ;)  

7 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

@PlumFishing How was the fight with the sturgeon? Always wanted to catch one myself looks like you got him on a white sluggo? Wouldnt have thought they would hit a lure always thought bait was the way to go. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 mins ago, captahab416 said:

@PlumFishing How was the fight with the sturgeon? Always wanted to catch one myself looks like you got him on a white sluggo? Wouldnt have thought they would hit a lure always thought bait was the way to go. 

When it hit I immediately figured it was a sturgeon because there weren’t many bass of size in the river a few weeks ago (or now for that matter) and this slammed and immediately started peeling line off. It would periodically stop and I’d gain some line and then it would take off again. When it started seeing shore it would really put its butt into running. 

Lasted about 15 mins. Revived it for a few minutes, it was fighting to get back out the whole time, and took off like a torpedo. 

Was a sand eel on a 1oz jig. Can’t recall the brand, thinking Bill Hurley? I think it was just a coincidence the fish hit it, and wasn’t what it was targeting (kinda like me:)

I’d just picked up the BG3500 on my was because I figured it would be better for the little rats that are around. 

Edited by PlumFishing

I hooked one last week too. Thankfully it spit the hook or was snagged and it came off. I've "landed" two over the years. One was as long as outstretched arms on a six foot guy. It jumped after I hooked it about 30 feet from the boat. Looked like a missile launch. Got it on a 7inch arkansas shiner color sluggo. I figure they come over to look and "feel" the bait out of curiosity with their barbels. Sometimes they just get the point of the hook in the face. The big one was hooked right in the base of the barbel outside the mouth / from which I develop my curiosity theory. I don't know if chunk fishermen catch them or not, Seems like they would. That river is just loaded with Sturgeon from two feet to 6 feet, no exaggeration on size or quantity. Loaded.

Last night caught over 10 fish, 40+ inches....largest was a 48...releaseed all except one my buddy harvested...insane fight on the 48..They are here...All caught on North Shore....by the way, when I said Newburyport, it was not a spot burn so relax with your  B!@#$%^&*...Go fish and stop patrolling these sites..

48.jpg

By the way, they have been here for almost a month..i have buddys who have been getting them...The only difference is they are putting in more time, go get em!

1 hour ago, The Rev said:

Last night caught over 10 fish, 40+ inches....largest was a 48...releaseed all except one my buddy harvested...insane fight on the 48..They are here...All caught on North Shore....by the way, when I said Newburyport, it was not a spot burn so relax with your  B!@#$%^&*...Go fish and stop patrolling these sites..

48.jpg

Nice fish, well done and good job on the C&R!!

Pretty work, that one's a piggy.  

I did say that Newburyport was not a spot burn.  I think that giving reasonably helpful info is a good thing.  If you look back through my posts I will often give a general idea of where in MA I was and even what kind of spot (rocky, sandy beach, river etc...).

sam

4 hours ago, rst3 said:

No worries!!! The fish are just "late"...

(¬_¬)

Or they're all running "offshore." :angel:

Saw a couple of big sturgeon jumping clear out of the water this AM. Wonder if they've attempted to estimate the sturgeon population in the 'mack?

5 hours ago, The Rev said:

48.jpg

Nice fish!  Bait or artificials?