C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

6,301 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, spinncognito said:

Have not pursued the striped ones yet but the macs and herring are plentiful. Herring are big ones too, had one leap out of the water when I was reeling it in. That was neat.

herrrrring.jpg

Are we allow to catch herring for bait now? Remember catching them as a kid to used for bait until the ban. Been a hell of a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caught a couple of schoolies yesturday around sunset on the south side of Gloucester. This was off the rocks in open ocean. They both hit a 5" bone color mag darter, one was 18" the other 22". There were a bunch of other people fishing around me but i didnt see them connect on chunk bait. I expect to be into some keepers over the weekend. 

20190509_200009.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DonWon said:

Are we allow to catch herring for bait now? Remember catching them as a kid to used for bait until the ban. Been a hell of a long time.

He's catching Atlantic Herring, not river herring(alewifes & bluebacks) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got 5 (14-25") about 2 hours into the ebb in a north shore river just as the sun was going down. Most were on a jumpin minnow but did get one on a jointed bomber. Sea lice still on all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hmarchetti said:

What kind of bait have folks been running in to? I've been out quite a bit recently but only seen a cormorant on herring once

Large Sea Herring, Silversides and Macks south of Cape Anne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

24-25” fish off the dock this morning at 8:30AM — 3 hours after dead high. I saw maybe 7-8 fish this size swimming around. 

 

When I released this one, it went swimming like crazy away from the dock.

2A737587-4720-47F8-99D8-84F052FC376B.jpeg

1ABE8AAF-FCDE-44C7-B098-FB5A2AA5E220.jpeg

Edited by squammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big blitz in a North Shore river today just at the start of incoming.  Just out of casting range, of course. Birds slamming the water, and stripers blowing up from the bottom nonstop for over an hour! I managed to get one schoolie, but if i was 50 yds closer I would have had a fish every cast. So aggravating!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wednesday night got skunked at my early season spot. Last night around sunset tried another productive spot that's on open ocean, east north east side of cape ann. Walked along the rocks for a bit and thought I had a skunk. Then by mistake I had a hit but lost it. I had realized the fish are real sluggish. Finally landed a schoolie, method: sinking pencil, let it sink, pull to surface, repeat, perhaps popping it on surfaces for a bit but always letting it sink. I gather a small spook would work with generous pauses.

      Getting real sick of these people that come up to me when I land a fish to ask if they can have it, especially when it's way undersized. Then they get all pissed when I say hell no and throw the fish back. Maybe they could start by learning my language and asking if the fish is keeper size. Maybe then I would give one away every once in a while.

Edited by Aposfai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aposfai said:

 

      Getting real sick of these people that come up to me when I land a fish to ask if they can have it, especially when it's way undersized. Then they get all pissed when I say hell no and throw the fish back. Maybe they could start by learning my language and asking if the fish is keeper size. Maybe then I would give one away every once in a while.

Gotta keep the rift raft in check, well done. Some of these dudes are getting awfully cheeky...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, Aposfai said:

Wednesday night got skunked at my early season spot. Last night around sunset tried another productive spot that's on open ocean, east north east side of cape ann. Walked along the rocks for a bit and thought I had a skunk. Then by mistake I had a hit but lost it. I had realized the fish are real sluggish. Finally landed a schoolie, method: sinking pencil, let it sink, pull to surface, repeat, perhaps popping it on surfaces for a bit but always letting it sink. I gather a small spook would work with generous pauses.

      Getting real sick of these people that come up to me when I land a fish to ask if they can have it, especially when it's way undersized. Then they get all pissed when I say hell no and throw the fish back. Maybe they could start by learning my language and asking if the fish is keeper size. Maybe then I would give one away every once in a while.

report anything you see this year to EPO in Gloucester! They will be out in force! do not help them they are selling the fish! Use a Jumping

minnow! 

 

Edited by BrianOC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BrianOC said:

report anything you see this year to EPO in Gloucester! They will be out in force! do not help them they are selling the fish! Use a Jumping

minnow! 

 

Gloucester was the first place that I thought of after reading this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.