C Bass

North Shore Report

5,891 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2018 at 0:09 AM, ctokowicz said:

Anyone fish Essex river/ cranes lately?

Lots of schoolies from the beach two weeks ago. Will probably be there again for first light tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out on a favorite spot Saturday around high tide, didn't catch anything, but saw a few micros caught... Had to leave right as the storm rolled in the fishing looked like it was about to turn on. Hoping the fall brings some fish closer to shore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dark_helmet said:

Out on a favorite spot Saturday around high tide, didn't catch anything, but saw a few micros caught... Had to leave right as the storm rolled in the fishing looked like it was about to turn on. Hoping the fall brings some fish closer to shore.

I think I was on that same spot Saturday and took over when u left... I fished another hour and half in the heavy rain without a bite. Conditions looked perfect and I threw the bag, but still couldn’t make anything happen. Slow year for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2018 at 0:09 AM, ctokowicz said:

Anyone fish Essex river/ cranes lately?

 

I fished the Essex River Thurs - Sun.  Our house is right on the marsh so I was able to fish both sides of each high tide.  

 

They definitely followed a pattern.  It would be quiet for a long while, then a school of 18-20" fish would come up the channel and pin bait against the sandbar.  I was on the fly - they would eat anything I threw at them, from a black popper to a chartreuse Clouser.  Each school was good for a couple fish, then they'd leave and things would quiet down again.  Happened ay least once per session (maybe more often, I just had kids to attend to).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JCH said:

 

I fished the Essex River Thurs - Sun.  Our house is right on the marsh so I was able to fish both sides of each high tide.  

 

They definitely followed a pattern.  It would be quiet for a long while, then a school of 18-20" fish would come up the channel and pin bait against the sandbar.  I was on the fly - they would eat anything I threw at them, from a black popper to a chartreuse Clouser.  Each school was good for a couple fish, then they'd leave and things would quiet down again.  Happened ay least once per session (maybe more often, I just had kids to attend to).

This mirrors my experiences up there recently - short periods of catching small fish, with long periods in between.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a species today that I've never encountered before. I'm curious what it is. We were offshore fishing for tuna. The fish in question was small, 5" to 7". It seemed interested in following our live baits around. Every time we pulled them up, the fish would follow and circle our baits. Fish that were much larger, jumbo whiting, etc. It had vertical black and possibly gold bands, with bright orange pectoral fins. It somewhat resembled a sheepshead but had a different shape. It definitely wasn't a bonito. I have no idea what it was. Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Joser said:

probably banded rudderfish. common this time of year

Common in the gulf of Maine? Perhaps down in the Cape/Vinyard but I wouldn't know what's common down there.

 

I looked at a picture. It's possible it was a banded rudderfish. My initial guess was a pilot fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2018 at 1:49 PM, JCH said:

 

I fished the Essex River Thurs - Sun.  Our house is right on the marsh so I was able to fish both sides of each high tide.  

 

They definitely followed a pattern.  It would be quiet for a long while, then a school of 18-20" fish would come up the channel and pin bait against the sandbar.  I was on the fly - they would eat anything I threw at them, from a black popper to a chartreuse Clouser.  Each school was good for a couple fish, then they'd leave and things would quiet down again.  Happened ay least once per session (maybe more often, I just had kids to attend to).

thanks for that, going to head out tonight fish the last of the outgoing and the incoming. ill let you guys know what I find. 

Tight Lines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big pogie blitz in the Marblehead/Swampscott area yesterday, bass had them pinned in tight to shore and there were some big bass landed (40"+) from shore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Twisted said:

Big pogie blitz in the Marblehead/Swampscott area yesterday, bass had them pinned in tight to shore and there were some big bass landed (40"+) from shore.

I have a feeling its gonna be tough to catch anything in this area for a little bit.  I saw the damage and even the 1000 seagulls are stuffed full and there's still thousands of dead fish laying around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I was one of the six or so guys on that until dark. Never seen everything come together just right like that, and would be foolish to think it will again, there, this week, this year... But did not stop me from checking that and every beachfront six miles either way yesterday and last night.

 

But I don't know where there is thousands of dead pogies…. The few that were chased into the rocks and were stranded to die when the tide went down have been pretty much picked clean by the gulls. Not sure what above poster meant by damage, either. Not a single fish was kept and all were returned to the surf and given a chance to recover before they swam off. None of us wanted to lug fish that big even the short distance to our vehicles. Interestingly, there wasn't a single bird around during the feed.

Edited by nightfighter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Maybe thousand(s) is an over estimate but every tide pool I saw had at least a couple hundred in them.

Edited by ace7644

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.