C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

8,175 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TomBraidy said:

Skunked again in Lawrence from 0445 to 0700. About a dozen other misguided souls present as well and they didn't catch anything either.  Did I miss the herring run by a Day?  

Should I try again tomorrow or should I try Newburyport?  What do you guys think?  I'm leaning towards Newburyport.  Gotta shake this skunk off!

Fish are there. I was drift fishing from the bridge down to the Shawsheen culvert and was getting plenty of top water hits. The fish were too small to take a 2 oz pencil. Down sized the lure no problem but all under 20". There were  few mid 20's . The other boat anglers were reporting the same.

4 hours ago, TomBraidy said:

Skunked again in Lawrence from 0445 to 0700. About a dozen other misguided souls present as well and they didn't catch anything either.  Did I miss the herring run by a Day?  

Should I try again tomorrow or should I try Newburyport?  What do you guys think?  I'm leaning towards Newburyport.  Gotta shake this skunk off!

There is no water in the river, it is an awful year, the herring have already spawned 

39 mins ago, seasnake said:

There is no water in the river, it is an awful year, the herring have already spawned 

Hard to tell on the interwebs but my sarcasm radar is beeping.

Just like there are no fish in the cape cod canal right :howdy:

7 hours ago, TomBraidy said:

I was one of those misguided souls....I had 1 bust on a pencil but I that was it.  May go back in the morning for Shad

3 hours ago, TomBraidy said:

Hard to tell on the interwebs but my sarcasm radar is beeping.

Just like there are no fish in the cape cod canal right :howdy:

Truth be told..there actually weren't many fish at all in the canal for most of this past week. 

Came across a crowd of 5 guys from out of state--piling back into a car and calling it quits after getting shut out at night. Enjoyed hearing my first "sorry guys, it really wasn't like this the last time I was here.. (referring to last yr during cow-a-palooza)". :)

8 hours ago, TomBraidy said:

that stinks....its been a strange start to the season but some big fish were caught this week, maybe this heat wave shut them down for a bit today...hot and bright sun even early this morning not ideal. Looks like some cooler temps, rain & clouds the next couple days should help turn the topwater bite on. If your just looking to catch fish any size then yes just go to Newburyport because its loaded with small fish...some keepers starting to mix in. good luck

1 hour ago, gsemech said:

I was one of those misguided souls....I had 1 bust on a pencil but I that was it.  May go back in the morning for Shad

Well I may see you there tomorrow morning again. I think I'll drop by and give it half an hour at daylight, If nothing happens, I'll go to Newburyport.  Say hi if you see me, I'll be wearing a baseball cap with a Superman Logo.

31 mins ago, rst3 said:

Truth be told..there actually weren't many fish at all in the canal for most of this past week. 

Came across a crowd of 5 guys from out of state--piling back into a car and calling it quits after getting shut out at night. Enjoyed hearing my first "sorry guys, it really wasn't like this the last time I was here.. (referring to last yr during cow-a-palooza)". :)

Went there twice this past week myself and got skunked both times.  Shooting 0-4 this year.  Did see two schoolies get pulled up on the west end.  And on my Second trip in the week saw a barely legal keeper get pulled on the East End. 

I was also fishing upriver, had herring following my redfin, saw a lamprey swimming upstream lost half a dozen jigs and pulled 200' of line out of thr river, I've had worse days.

Large school of micros in Danvers yesterday morning. The fly fisherman were doing well.   I was out for a family breakfast cruise so we just watched as we headed out.  On the way back in I had an idiot cut right in front of me and cross the channel and I came to a stop.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement in the water and looked down.  A good size striper, at least 30”, had come to the surface. They are definitely mixed in with the little ones. 

38 mins ago, Scotch & Stripers said:

Large school of micros in Danvers yesterday morning. The fly fisherman were doing well.   I was out for a family breakfast cruise so we just watched as we headed out.  On the way back in I had an idiot cut right in front of me and cross the channel and I came to a stop.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement in the water and looked down.  A good size striper, at least 30”, had come to the surface. They are definitely mixed in with the little ones. 

I've been getting bigger ones in the Danvers (but still schoolies) than in NBPT so far on flies, but using a sinking line to get down deeper. Nice that they're finally back though...

Yep there back hit a pier and some rocks last night schoolys are here were crushing sp minnow no keepers yet for me. Jigged for bait didn't get anything some squid action too but very few...

Posted (edited)

The latest post at Surfland reports plenty of fish at the mouth of the Merrimack.

I stopped in at the shop yesterday to buy a few things, and that whole area looked like Coney Island, so I went elsewhere. It may be a different story for the rest of the weekend, given the change in the weather.

Edited by fishinbill

Hit the big river up on our northern state border...Did pretty well with a slug of healthy schoolies, and came less than one inch of my first keeper of the season...Basically, I measured the fish against some markings on my rod (ron arra lami) and the fish measured from the butt of the rod to the lower case 'L' in the word 'Lamiglass' above the cork grip...I took a measuring tape to my rod when I got home (I catch and release regardless)...the pics below show the results

lami-notakeeper.jpg

lami-notakeeper2.jpg

I was on the bite big-time. northeast side of cape ann on the outgoing tide at my bet spot.waves were 4 -6ft.  hooked a keeper sized fish but it broke me off because I've been too lazy to reverse my line to have the fresher half go out on the cast. by the time I switched to my backup reel it died down a bit but I still had difficulties because I wasnt used to the slower retrieve. only got 2 smalls but felt a few big strikes that I couldn't connect on. will go prepared tomorrow.