C Bass

North Shore Report

5,993 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, G.dub366 said:

Got a 16 inch striper on a plug off the beach in the lynn/marblehead area yesterday. Plenty of boils as well.

nice work!

what kind of plug did you end up grabbing her on?

Hit the 4th of my early season spots till the storm blew me out around 1:00. Not seeing much yet, but looking at next week's weather it's gonna be soon....

Nice story by a well known Newbury tackle shop of a 90 year old angler who got a 30 inch bass at the mouth of the 'Mack this AM. Presumably boat fishing, but not sure.

On 5/12/2018 at 10:27 AM, dark_helmet said:

North shore river, saw lots of herring, they were rolling, but didn't see anything underneath them. As an aside, does anyone who knows more about herring know why they do that, do they gulp air like tarpon? Are they eating garbage on top? It was cool to watch the big schools all rolling over on top and I was curious.

Technically speaking, tarpon ARE herring. I don't know whether the smaller members of the clan do that, but I doubt it. Tarpon can turn up and apparently be happy in pretty stagnant inland pools, but all the other herrings seem sensitive to oxygen loss, so they die easily. That wouldn't happen if they could just gulp some air.

9 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Technically speaking, tarpon ARE herring. I don't know whether the smaller members of the clan do that, but I doubt it. Tarpon can turn up and apparently be happy in pretty stagnant inland pools, but all the other herrings seem sensitive to oxygen loss, so they die easily. That wouldn't happen if they could just gulp some air.

Interesting, I wasn't sure if that was true, I did always thought tarpon looked very similar to a 'roided out herring. 

Not sure if it was a holdover or a searun but I've been fishing the backwaters of PI Sound and surrounding area to no avail the past week on different tides. 

It looked like mostly sand but maybe one or 2 lice (or perhaps I’m just hallucinating while waiting for the fish to arrive). 

Saw that post... most likely a holdover. If that was a fresh fish it would be covered in lice. All of the bass I’m catching in the cape right now are absolutely covered in sea lice. I caught a 40 inch holdover in the mouth before very early in the season they will start to work there way out of there winter spots 

Posted (edited)

On 5/16/2018 at 10:47 AM, bdowning said:

Nice story by a well known Newbury tackle shop of a 90 year old angler who got a 30 inch bass at the mouth of the 'Mack this AM. Presumably boat fishing, but not sure.

No casting from shore. He’s a good friend

Edited by ekelly33
Spelling

15 mins ago, ekelly33 said:

No casting from shore. He’s a good friend

Just hoping I can do what he's doing at 90 !

5 mins ago, bdowning said:

Just hoping I can do what he's doing at 90 !

Might set your sights a little lower by just getting to 90 ;)