C Bass

North Shore Report

Rate this topic

8,175 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, evan1 said:

Ill be back on the north shore from school columbus day weekend this year, how is the fishing normally around then? Still good or is that late ? 

Should be fine. I tend to stick to oceanfront later in the season as opposed to river/flats, not sure if others do the same or if it even really matters. 

Below picture is from Oct 17th last year. Note the birds working the bait. 

 

IMG_3318.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had planned on a family cruise yesterday afternoon but the family thought it was too cold.  I went fishing instead.  I didn't expect to catch much in the middle of the day but I managed a few from 28 to 32 inches.  All caught in the Misery/Bakers Islands area.  

 

I was using a Doc plug, the 9 inch with those big trebles.  I noticed that the largest fish I caught didn't put up much of a fight (until I pulled the hooks out).  He had the mid plug hook nicely set in his lip but the rear hook had lodged below the mouth towards his belly.  I think the double hooking didn't allow for him to fight.  Has anyone switched out the trebles for single hooks on the Doc?   Or simply removed one treble?  Just wondering if anyone has done this and if it maintained the sharp zig-zag motion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if anything leaving only 1 treble or switching to inline hooks will help improve the action, but hurt your hookup ratio with the DOC. I switched to inline hooks with my rebel JM in the spring and loved the action but totally killed my hookups. Food for thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Scotch & Stripers said:

I had planned on a family cruise yesterday afternoon but the family thought it was too cold.  I went fishing instead.  I didn't expect to catch much in the middle of the day but I managed a few from 28 to 32 inches.  All caught in the Misery/Bakers Islands area.  

 

I was using a Doc plug, the 9 inch with those big trebles.  I noticed that the largest fish I caught didn't put up much of a fight (until I pulled the hooks out).  He had the mid plug hook nicely set in his lip but the rear hook had lodged below the mouth towards his belly.  I think the double hooking didn't allow for him to fight.  Has anyone switched out the trebles for single hooks on the Doc?   Or simply removed one treble?  Just wondering if anyone has done this and if it maintained the sharp zig-zag motion.  

There is a forum on the main with lots of information on this. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, captahab416 said:

I think if anything leaving only 1 treble or switching to inline hooks will help improve the action, but hurt your hookup ratio with the DOC. I switched to inline hooks with my rebel JM in the spring and loved the action but totally killed my hookups. Food for thought. 

Did this last year.  Hookup rate was bad so I upped the size to 3/0. ( JM )  problem solved....................

On the DOC currently waiting for 5/0 and 6/0 inlines coming in the mail this week.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unskunk said:

Did this last year.  Hookup rate was bad so I upped the size to 3/0. ( JM )  problem solved....................

I appreciate the tip cause I really loved the action with the inline hooks as compared to the trebles. I was using 1/0 hooks so that explains it all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fished Saturday in the Marblehead, Swampscott, Nahant areas and it was simply incredible.  The bass were stacked so heavily on the fish finder it was nuts.  Personally landed 10 fish, smallest 28" most were mid to high 30".  Guys I were fishing with landed a 42", 43" and a 46"!  It went on for hours.  It is days like this that get me through the winter!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

marblehead was just blowin up with small schools of bait being balled up by schoolies.  At least where I was fishing there was a fish jumping every few seconds.  Lost count of how many I caught but finally caught my first keeper in like 3 years... 30"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can attest to the crazy schoolie feeds on peanuts as of late... they were so thick last morning that 12-18" fish were bumping into my feet and peanuts swam into my pockets a couple times. Decided it might be fun to swim out to them a little ways, and I can now say I've "skished" in a blitz and caught fish. I just gave up on catching them on rod and reel and focused on catching them on camera, but even so, I think I may have gotten a half dozen "by accident" with my lure trailing behind me in the water, maybe a couple feet out of the rod tip. Action slowed down but continued going in "stealth mode" with no surface activity well past noon. I was probably into the 30s when I stopped counting, most on fly, and my friend tried his best to keep track, but we both agreed that he was approaching triple digits. Fall has (un)fortunately arrived.  

Edited by DanTheBassMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool.  I was away for the last few days, and now I am going to try to get out as often as I possibly can. It's the best time of year, and before I know it we'l be in December and all I can do is wait until next year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2017 at 1:21 AM, DanTheBassMan said:

I can attest to the crazy schoolie feeds on peanuts as of late... they were so thick last morning that 12-18" fish were bumping into my feet and peanuts swam into my pockets a couple times. Decided it might be fun to swim out to them a little ways, and I can now say I've "skished" in a blitz and caught fish. I just gave up on catching them on rod and reel and focused on catching them on camera, but even so, I think I may have gotten a half dozen "by accident" with my lure trailing behind me in the water, maybe a couple feet out of the rod tip. Action slowed down but continued going in "stealth mode" with no surface activity well past noon. I was probably into the 30s when I stopped counting, most on fly, and my friend tried his best to keep track, but we both agreed that he was approaching triple digits. Fall has (un)fortunately arrived.  

Yep, found stupid amounts of schoolies over the weekend . . . caught no less than 80 between Sat and Sun AM, with only one at 27" and one at 26".  All others 16-24" with most in the 18" range.  They were chasing peanuts.  Lots of fun though, wore out most of 6" sluggo supply.  Threw on several varieties of 9" rubber hoping to find larger fish beneath the hordes of smaller fish but no takers, not even a bump.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of schoolies around but last 2 weeks I'm suddenly getting much larger average fish on peanut bunker flies, 30" last week, 27" at lunch today. Starting to consistently see my backing for a change...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.