Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cheech

Hobie Revolution review

8 posts in this topic

After three trips, and about 30 miles, I'm a Hobie fan. I love to paddle, but not while I'm fishing.

The mirage drive is efficient, easy to operate and adjust.. While underway you can eat, change tackle, fish with rod in hand, etc. A cycling background made it feel natural, and almost effortless. Ten miles pass with no neck, shoulder, or sciatic pain.

The Revo hull is light enough to flip up overhead, and load sans help. The two 8" hatches, and main front hatch are easy to operate, and full of utility. The rudder deploys, and stores easily, and turns quicker than I imagined. The slightly rounded, almost flat keel offers great stability, but wanders instantly without the rudder down. It paddles well enough, as it is a twin to the Quest, a Hobie paddle offering. The 13.5 length helps in this regard, and adds to the stability in rough water. Semi-rough going saw some hull slap, and spray up.Real rough will probably be a wet ride, but hey it's a kayak! Like the video said"put a sponge behind the seat".

Yes its pricey, but a quality, ruddered, touring yak is in the same ballpark. The upgrade larger fins and rudder are going on it next trip out. The stock Revolution is quite impressive, being free from sciatica is priceless.

Cheech, good luck with your new ride! What color did you get, so I know who to look for when I am up in your neck of the woods? Great review and you will get tolove it even more after a few more trips. As far as paddling goes, you really want to use the plug and take the drive out, it handles much better with the plug in.

Congrats!!

Danny V

Thanks for the tip Dan, I had actually asked others if they bring the plug along in case of drive failure. It's 'run me over' blue.

Good review!

I rented one for a day and experienced what you posted but before I purchase I want to try the Outback ,.I felt a little cramped at the end of the day and the Outback looks a lot roomier for fishing.So I've got to try it too. Just curious!