Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Wet Suit

14 posts in this topic

I got love for the wet suit this spring. Waders and dry top are taking a back seat as we enter the 60's plus air temp but water temps in New England are still hovering in the 50's. I use to overheat in my waders, dry top, belt set up. I'm using a 4-5 mil farmer john with top and 6mm boots. I can shed the top if I wish and stay with the farmer john and dry top. If the air temp plummets, I have the option of Mysterioso underneath. The good news is the price of the suit. I only paid 130 bucks for a quality one. Turn the suit inside out and hose it down with fresh water and no smell.

I'm wondering why more people do not use wet suits? Was it the old cliche, "Only works when wet!"? The wetsuit offers plenty of insulation in or out of the water.

I'm hearing about guys forking out good money for dry suits and they can't even walk around in it without causing seepage. Why not try a wet suit?

Interesting. I would like to hear from folks that tried the wet suit and moved on to a dry suit. Why did you move on.

I have a wet suit that I never used, because I assumed that I would not be warm because of the has to be wet thing.

Is it a trend that just went with kayaking?

It's too hot now, but I may give it a try if I go out at night.

I have been kicking the idea around for these times when the drysuit is too much, I was thinking farmer john and on colder days splash/dry top over it. Plus would be I could use it in the surf as well hmmm- Bob

It's like spring came, summer went, and fall is here last night to this early morning. I ended up wearing the 4-3 last night and was fine. Water temps where I was at on the mud flats was 58 and air temps I would guess upper 40's.

I started with the wetsuit 2 years ago. 3mm farmer john. I couldn't stand it after a while. I found it very uncomfortable after just a few hours. Went to wader/drytop last year and haven't looked back. Switched to drypants/drytop this year. Still on the fence with the pants so far. They did score some points the other night during a mid-water relief session!!

I would love it if it were that easy. I put mine on yesterday (first time since I bought it 6 years ago) and couldn't leave the house. All the memories came rushing back as to why I went with waders in the first place.

Maybe I was sold a suit that is too tight.

NRS Rodeo pants and a dry top. The NRS pants are the easiest to get into and best fitting wetsuit pants I've ever owned, and between my years of diving and surfing, I've owned quite a few.