Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roughseas0

Cod Fishin' report

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Last week I made it up north to Plymouth Mass for a few days of codfishin' aboard the Captian John.

By the time the boat left friday morning I was up close to 2 days without sleep and couldnt imagine having a good time. On the way out to the fishing grounds I rigged up a few vike jigs with teasers, saw a few whales and caught some zzz's.

There's something about fishing that wakes ya up no matter how tired you are. The instant the boat stopped, I was wide awake and ready to drop a line into the depths.

Immediate hookups, shorts hitting the teaser and most of the larger fish hitting the jig. Bait didn't do well. The bite slowed as the day progressed. Most of the keepers were teen-sized. Pool winner was a 26lb wolf fish. Gawd they're ugly.

All in all a good day except for the last hour and a half or so. There seemed to be 2 groups on the boat. Those fishing the stern with jigs of 16oz or more that held bottom and those towards the bow that insisted on using 8oz and mono only to cause MASSIVE TANGLES with everyone in the back of the boat.

The mates were good at clearing up the mess but should have said something to either group at some point. At times it was too long a wait and after many times of saying " just cut me out",jigs started to get cut and left for someone to claim. Maybe it was frustration, maybe it was lack of sleep, I called it a day then.

I managed a few good sized fish that the mate partially cleaned and I kept on ice till i got home. I skinned the filets and found them to be INFESTED with worms. Whats with that???????? All but 2 filets wound up in the garbage.

Saturdays trip was cancelled due to the weather. We all left mid day and hit foxwoods on the way home. Saturday night my arms were killin' me. Could have been from fishing, could have been from the slot machines wink.gif

Roughseas

Rough,

Sounds like my experiences during the early 1980's up in southern Maine. The sharpies were either in the bow or stern with the proper tackle and the pilgrims (weekend warriors) were amidship. On strong tide days the tangles were unbelievable.

As far as aching arms, I can still remember what they felt like after my first two-day trip up there. I found muscles I never new I had.

Al

Roughseas:

Those worms are very common in spring codfish! They come from the sea lice that drill themselves into the fish. If the fish is properly cooked they pose no threat. All fish have parasites. Did you say the majority of the fish were better than 12 pounds??? Sounds a bit large for local fishing..

Just give the word Tim, I'm in for it again! The ride is just a skip and a jump now that I've done it a few times!

As far as the worms go, in the 100+ cod that we've brought home this winter, I have not had to toss any of the fillets, as a matter of fact I can count the total number of worms on 2 hands! All of the fish we got though came from George's and not Stellwagon. I did the Capt. John thing a ferw years back and those fish were more worm than meat!

Prefessa.... the majority of the fish caught were shorts or ummmmm.. hackleheads??..kinda like those pesky sea robins except with spikes. Of the keepers, there were many teen sized fish. The pool leader was 17lbs till a wolf fish took the honors.

Common or not, something about seein' worms in something I'm gonna eat just skeeved me big time.

Tim..... worms or no worms, it was a great time and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!!

Roughseas0

Do I smell a Cod Fling brewing???

Yes it seems that shallow water Spring codfish are plagued w/ sea worms. The stuff you get from the deep and later in the season are fine.

Roughseaso. Last sat I was on the dock waiting for Andy from the Andy Lynn to show. The flag was at attention I new that the chances of getting out were slim. The Capt. John boats canceled and I felt the day was a loss for getting out. I spoke with a few of the New Yorkers and Conneticut boys that were all upset that the John boats canceled.I simply told them you did not want to be out on the water,it would of been a good chumming day,had they gone out. I was in the Green Ranger with the two rocket launches on it and I was between my two friends trucks on the pier. We might of spoke to each other and did not realize it. I am going out this Friday if the weather holds. If you had worms in the fillets,I would attempt to pick them out. Once they are cooked and they will not harm you,it willadd a little more protein to the diet. Did you go out to Stellwagon or were fishing in close. Generally the worm population increases in the fish if they had stayed close to warmer water and most of the winter the smaller fish have been in closer to shore. How Deep would you estimate the water depth was? When we go out to Stellwagon we are generally fishing 300 feet of water. I know that they went out on Sunday and the mate did not tell me about wormy fish,but I will ask. I noticed that you were using only 16 ounce jigs,did you need to have more on ?

Angler

Billyboy... red teasers seemed to do the trick with green probably coming in 2nd. I didn't see anyone using pink.

Angler#1... Depths were from 110 to 185 feet. I don't know what you call that area. 16oz seemed to hold bottom, perhaps even lighter till the last hour or so of fishing. 8-12oz just wasn't cutting it.

I was in the tan Yukon. We were a mixed group. Half still wanted to go, esp after seeing the weather let up a bit later. The other half kinda stayed up too late and were relieved we didnt.

This was my first time out for cod. I didnt notice the worms till I skinned the side the mates left on. Now that I know it's no biggie, next time i'll just pick'em out or welcome the protien boost wink.gif

WORMS!?!? Y U C K!!

I ain't eatin no worms! Oh yea, I don't eat fish anyway icon15.gif

Nevermind smile.gif

I'd love to do it....'cept I wanna do it where and when there's a good chance of running into some LARGE cod. All in all, what's the best opportunity, time and place, to stick a really big cod? That's what I'd like to do smile.gif

TimS

...All in all, what's the best opportunity, time and place, to stick a really big cod? That's what I'd like to do smile.gifTimS[/b]

Oh I remember those days well! I've been keeping track of those big golden codfish - and now there is a major decline! Back then codfish were plentiful (even from shore) but now you are lucky to find a single true brute.

Who could imagine just 4 years ago... there were hush-hush places where 30-50lbs. were available? (Al Goldberg and I took part) and now that last pod of big fish are gone. Like any other species, I've seen it when plentiful and I've seen the numbers decline to near destruction.

"Crazy"