Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianZ

Ambrose H2O temp?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Does any body know what the usual difference is between ambrose tower water temp and the beach water temp. It always looks like its off by about 5 degrees in either direction, why? It says it was ~ 70F and I was standin in that water and it was NOT 70F. Any ideas. confused.gif

Brian, it's not that simple my friend! General rule of thumb, when the winds blowing S or SE at a good clip for 6 or more hours, the beaches will cool...Ambrose will not...at least not right away. Some hours later (?), Ambrose will reflect at least a drop in temp, no where near what the beach is feeling. I was in the same water you were...no, it certainly wasn't 70...not on Sunday morning, it was more like 62-63...chilly! It was warmer this am, more like 66-67.

When the winds from the E, NE, N, NW, W, SW...then Ambrose is pert near correct with the suds temp....it's them S and SE winds that have Ambrose a handful of clicks behind.

TimS

-TimS, Thanks for the reply I know about the SE's cooling everything out but I guess my question is where does the temp break occur? I guess it's probably a function of duration of blow but on average? any ideas.BTW did you make it to the spot I raked on fri.? biggrin.gifsmile.gifconfused.gif

Brian, I dunno where the temp break is...I doubt it's a solid line, just a diffusing of the warm/cold water, a gradual decline in temp as you go inshore. I'll tell ya what, it's over...the water last night felt like bath water, it was very nice to walk in.

Yes, I gave that spot a good raking on Saturday...but we missed the tide, it was terrible. We tried again on Saturday night, all new crabs, no shedders. I'm guessing that the ones you got were not checked for their readiness to shed? Sotfies are one thing, gummy bears we call 'em, but we didn't get them there, not a one...seems they were all new and hard. This afternoon's tide will find me raking somewhere, we had a great shed in the tank last night, fully half our crabs popped last night, two LARGE trays full of gummy bears now, time to fish! Also, time to refill the tank with some more shedders, gotta keep the "flow" of bait goin' you know! smile.gif

TimS

-TimS, First off I'm jealous that you get to hunt unicorns tonite and I have to settle for largemouths on poppers frown.gif . I did check a few, NOT all, and about half looked like they were ready to shed. I just figured with the concentration of crabs there, and you two more experienced rakers would get more usable baits than my eight softies.

which for me raises the question from location to laocation is there a continuity of shed time? Are they all doing about the same thing when it comes to shedding in a given area? I just figured that if there are a lot of crabs in an area your chances increase for fishable baits ( what I'm looking for since I don't have a tank). I ' m sorry if I misled you guys.