Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy B

I need to confess

43 posts in this topic

I learned THE lesson today. I dumped my kayak and lost about $1250 bucks in gear, including my brand new/used once Avet reel and matching rod. What a waste. And to make things even worse, I lost my camera too, which had some really important pictures on it from this weekend. Now I know what it feels like for all those people that lose their cameras on vacation. I feel stupid and embarrassed.

Just before I dumped, I caught a really nice 20.5" Seabass. I let him go but I was looking forward to posting a pic of him.

No need to respond. I just needed to admit this outloud so I could try to get over it. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Thanks for listening.

Looks like guys named Andy haven't had any luck with their gear this week.

The other Andy broke his VanStaal rod.

I don't think anyone is gonna beat up on you.

I fish with some pretty expensive gear and have leashes all over my yaks. I don't care if it looks dumb.

Sorry to hear about your losses. You need to leash your stuff down just in case but I think you know that now. Mine had a leash but it wouldn't have mattered either way. Some things just happen.

After over 10 years of kayak fishing and years of preaching, "leash it or lose it" here, I lost my camera on the Flats this spring. I even said to myself I should get another leash out...

I feel you pain and have nothing to say that you don't already know.

Most of us have dropped something over the side, and many of us have dumped a yak. Spend enough time on a yak and you or your gear will go in. Forget all of the ifs, paddle, or peddle forward and cover ALL your bases next time out.

Andy the main thing is you are around to post what happened to you.Thank God for that.

I don't use very hi $ gear but i have rod floats on my rods and other gear.. Only leash I use is for my paddle.I'm afraid of getting caught in one of the leashes when I dump. Notice i said when not if.

Sorry it happened to you.

Dude that sucks ... No your not the only one.

For the investment we put into gear its surprising how many of use don't buy a leash or make our own. Aside from the bait cooler and a small box of soft plastics/tubes in my crate for easy access everything of value is leashed in some fashion. Learned that lesson early on when a set up went over the side in a lake the first summer i had the yak. Luckily it hung there suspended just long enough to grab again.

I don't use leashes because I don't want to get tangled up in them if/when I dump my kayak. When I upgrade from my low end sit inside kayak to a nice sit on top I'll probably store most of my gear inside. Then again If I lost my rods I'd only lose about $100, I only have one decent rod and reel.

Entanglement is a possibility .. I have some titanium Lure Saver split rings laying around I may add them to the lanyard. They should hold if somethings dropped over board or in a roll over but can be pull away in a tangle.

First time out this year I got out to stretch my legs, the kayak was parked back end slanted down to the water and when I got back in it took off like a ship being launched and being suprised I rolled right over in the ice cold water.Luckily my husband was there and I was quickly pulled out and dryed off'd. It is always amazing how FAST things happen.

I leash my rods and keep all my other stuff in a dry bag that is also leashed when surf launching. In back, I use a crate with a top that is also secured. After losing and breaking some gear, I'm a lot more careful.

What a bummer.

I've been lucky. In the past 10 or 12 years I finally dumped it last year. Stupid me in a hurry to get in the yak and over it went. Only had one rod with me since I was doing a float trip on the creek. More hassle than it's worth with the trees. Probably would have broke the second rod if it was in the boat because I usually have a cord around the spare. The rest of the stuff I just picked up since the water was only a couple of feet deep.

I've used a bunch of dog leases ... work good and cheap... and all ways have a spare for the dog.. :)

however I dont ALLWAYS use em.... I need to.... thanks for the heads-up

the loop end goes on the crate or something.. and with a zip tie.. I create a little loop on the rod to hook on too with the spring loaded end.