Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
googinator

Tarpon From Shore

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

The other thread about Tarpon got me going. I am going to be in Key West in April. I will charter a Permit and Dolphin trip, but would like to hook some small Tarpon from Shore.

Anybody try this in Key West? I will bring my Ron Arra 1084 and a VS 150. Can that handle a small Tarpon. And what should I use for plugs??? Anybody try this???

Those sissy southern fish like their plugs all shiny and flashy, not like a tough ol' bass willing to take a dull yellow hunk of wood.

In all seriousness, that setup sounds fine for small tarpon. 2 years ago in USVI I was just screwing around boat docks throwing mirror lures and poppers, and one about 36" or so grabbed my popper and gave me a hell of a fight on a stradic and 7' st. croix tidemaster. That outfit was pretty light for the fish which eventually threw the hook, but it still handled it well.

As for plugs, someone else will have to chime in. Maybe wildeyes, mirrolures, a zara spook type lure?

goog.. that will be a great setup for tarpon. Your best bet is to head to the piers at night.. two of which I did well on are the docks behind a hotel on the end of Duval street- and a large cement pier on the opposite end of the key (forget the exact street but easy to find on the small key after some exploring) Take some leader material with you (at least 50 lb)... tarpon don't have teeth but their rough mouths will still do a number on your leader.

The tarpon cruise through lights from the docks and piers sipping shrimp from the surface.... really cool stuff to see. (and after observing this I've noticed nearly all of the shrimp in the lights are under 4")

Pick up a few packs of the DOA shrimp jigs... in realistic colors (pref. white or clear) Go for the 4" jigs rather than the larger size. Cast the jig up current from a light and slowly swim the shrimp just under the water surface into the lights.... The tarpon will stalk just behind it like a trout following a fly in a creek. Once the tarpon goes to 'nose' the jig (yes this will drive you crazy) lift the tip of your rod to make the jig jump out of the water slightly and this usually triggers a bite (and is what real shrimp do to the tarpon)...

Pretty amazing stuff. I've also had nice hookups drifting the jig just outside of the shadow, again near the water surface. I've never felt power before like hooking into a tarpon!!!!!!

Also during the day if your interested, there's some great shark'in from under the bridges. There I used to take two dozen shrimp and catch some grunts and small barricuda to liveline. All fun stuff so make sure you have some wire. Don't hesitate to liveline a whole needlefish too, just break their beak off first or they will do a number on your line.

Good luck

Oh one more thing to add: I usually don't fish the pier at the end of Duval Street (the one that has the resturant)... after 4 a.m. ish they close up and you can hop the fence- and although probably illegal, the only reason I won't fish it is it'd be impossible (or very hard) to land a nice tarpon off of her. Both other places you can fight the fish and get down to revive and release....

Fun fishing too- I used to rent a moped and run between both spots, stopping a "the flying monkey's" outdoor bar on Duval St. to get refills smile.gif I've noticed that after you hook and fight a tarpon it takes a few minutes before the fish come back after being spooked. Just enough time to get a beverage or run to the other spot.

And if your not there during "spring break" season, the security guards are all pretty cool. One spot I fished said "guests only" but the security guards there actually helped me out with the tides one night. All good people.

i've spent many a spring night under the bridges fishing for tarpon. i've landed one so far, but i've jumped untold dozens. i always had good luck on black and blurple bombers. the jointed ones seem to be the best, but solid bodies did their fair share of work as well.