Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JT

Which credit card?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I want to start earning some points at the big sports shops but I don't know which one is better. I was going to get the card from Orvis but after I buy my waders most of their stuff is fly fishing and I'm not into that yet. Then I went to Cabelas and Bass Pro shops and they both seemed about the same.

So what outdoor credit cards do you guys use? And does anyone know if the gift certificates that you get from them expire quickly?

Thanks,

JT

I use to have a Bass Pro card but they cwm23.gif me so I cancelled it. Bass Pro throws away your earned points if yah don't use them within a certain time. Throw away my earned points?! I DON'T THINK SO! Cabelas, on the other hand, has no such policy so I went with them.

Dumped the LL bean card last month. They offered a tickler rate (0%) on balance transfers so I took it for the 12 months. Then the wife used the card to buy some stuff from LL Bean. MBNA - the card issuer - put all payments towards the transferred balance first, then eventually once paid in full, payments would begin to go towards purchases that were being charged interest all along.

I've got the Cabelas card - have had it for three or four years now. No problems that I can think of - and Cabelas is a pretty good spot for general sporting goods needs. I think I've got 400+ in Cabelas points to spend right now. Pretty cool.

I average 30K a year in charges on my Cabelas Visa that = $300 a year for me to spend. I've had it about 4 years now & am very happy with them.

I like the $'s back yes, but I like the fact if I need to call them, a real person answers the phone, and they direct your call. icon14.gif

------------------

Ed J

EdJ@StripersOnline.com

MBNA - the card issuer - put all payments towards the transferred balance first, then eventually once paid in full, payments would begin to go towards purchases that were being charged interest all along.

That is standard practice with credit card transfers. They will always apply any payment toward the lower rate balance while charging their "standard" rate on new purchases.

Stinks but that's the way they stay in business.

MikeP: I forgot to mention the LL Bean card. I'm all for helping out a business in my backyard but not when they do business like that. I dropped that one too. Hey, I'm sure any place in Maine will honor whatever card yah have now, so come up for a visit this summer.

i vote for cabela's. my girlfriend has an ll. bean card and they have all kinds of stipulations as to how many coupons and the amounts that can be put towards purchases. She loves it though.

I had a cabela's card about 7 to 9 years ago, and when I call them, they still have me listed on their preferred customer list.

I have returned a few things to them and have never ever had a problem with them. they take back anything. i broke a fly rod that i built and sent it back. they said that they never recieved the return but they sent me everything from the rod order- thread, blank, guides, everything. i also had a gore tex duck hunting jacket that i bought from them, just sitting in the closet for over 2 years. i asked them if i could return it and they said yes. that company is just unbelievably good.

ps.- anybody want to buy about a dozen mallard decoys?

American Express

...debt free biggrin.gif

But not junk mail free thumbdownleft.gif

That's why I got rid of it. I called and asked them to stop (I was getting at least 2 pieces of junk mail from them a week) and asked them to stop. And this was after waiting for 10 minutes to speak to real person as I had to keep listening to menus and punching in my account number cwm23.gif. I asked them to stop, then a week later I get a letter from them telling me they were looking into it but could not find the "source" of the problem. Duh!

I canceled the account the next week (by letter). They called the next week to ask why, I told them, the next week I get a letter and it contained some solicitations for some crap as well as a letter asking me why I canceled. Double Duh!

I like the concept, not the company. But I don't carry a balance on my card(s) anyway smile.gif.

------------------

Ed J

EdJ@StripersOnline.com