Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
niantic1

Tica Libra question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I bought 2 Libra 4000's over the winter and when I spooled them with line, I'm finding the line winds on in an inverted cone shape onto the spool.(thicker towards the top and less line going on at the bottom of the spool)Is this normal and if not, what can I do to fix this? Thanks.

i've fished mine for 3 years now, and never had a problem (using Spi-Wi Stealth) including what you describe...... I'd unwind it and re-spool and see what happens. (PS I live in Guilford- maybe I'll see ya out there- ) Bob

It's odd that it would happen on two separate reels in the same fashion - it's something that happens on a very few reels. I've seen it happen during spooling under heavy tension on a number of reels - yet under fishing conditions those same reels spool line perfectly.

I suspect it may have something to do with the line spooling process. If not, you need to add a small washer under the spool to bring the spool out a little further. I'm not sure if TiCA supplies additional washers, I can't remember. I generally try fishing the reel first - the problem usually ends up being just an issue during very heavy tension of spooling up the reel and works itself out quickly while fishing.

TimS

I've been using a Libra 4000 for 2 years with no trouble. I liked it so much I bought another one. The new one has a problem with the bail flipping over and closing in mid cast. Cost me 2 plugs already. I guess I have to send it back. Any one else have this problem with a Libra?

Yup, Tryan - I got a Tica Libra 4000 in trade last yr that has that problem. You must cast with a bit of a wrist snap like I do w/ a spinning reel. wink.gif Previous owner warned me of it. I tried adding another spring with a ball on the otherside of the bail roller. Its made for one, but there wasn't one in there. That seems to help a little, but the reel is a spare and I don't use it in my regular rotation.

Removing the bail wire is an easy fix to the problem. biggrin.gif It doesn't take much to get use to not having a bail to flip open on each cast and then picking up the line and putting in on the roller afterwards. I got use to it in about a minute.

Tica reels are so smooth, the handle can rotate on the cast and cause the bail to flip over prematurely.

The fix is easy if you don't want to go bail-less---advance the handle so the rotor is flush against the bail trip. You may have to flip the bail over manually after the cast, but with braid you should be flipping the bail by hand anyway.