Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LI BeachRat

NY State slap in the face

Rate this topic

372 posts in this topic

Ok, anyone who reads post here know about the NY State Park's meeting today regarding opening areas to surfers. Now to be truthful it was for Kayaking, paddleboard and windsurfing.

Within seconds of chairman Bryan Erwin opening speech, ya knew it was a done deal. While they went though the motions of giving people a chance to talk, you knew the out come. Not only was it a slap in the face to all fishermen there, one official who seemed to be running the meeting more than Mr Erwin, sat there laughing at us.

New York State Parks have always been anti beach fishing from as far back as Robert Moses. So since NY State Parks seems to have so much extra money to spend to open and control more access ( note not any for surf fishing ). Write and call your assemblyman and tell them to help balance NY States budget andt cut the Parks budget to the bone.

Your user fees are being used to beat you to death, wise up.

they're minds were set before the meeting even started. so alot of bs posturing and fake concern was displayed by the board. and mr. smirking lifeguard couldnt care less for the wants of fishermen which he made obvious with his holier than thou demeanor.

Why is beach access a bad thing?

The beach is not there specifically for you to fish.

The beach is not there specifically for you to surf.

The beach is not there specifically for you to sunbathe or start watch.

The beach is not there specifically for you to walk the dog.

The beach is not there specifically for you to……

The beach is public access that is there for everyone to enjoy. Common curtsey goes a long way, and unfortunate it is something that many have forgotten. Surfers and kayakers do not scare fish any more then you tossing a big ass lure in the water. Come early, stay late, and respect the environment and those who enjoy it.

I don’t expect people to move so I can launch my kayak, but I do expect them to respect my desire to return to shore in the general area that I started at.

what gives fishermen more rights to the beach than these groups? you want more access for yourself and less for others. what if the shoe was on the other foot? you would be cheering and applauding the decision. i dont see any reason why these groups should have less access than fishermen.

I would think surf fisherman have two major complaints: 1- the nys4x4 beach access pass is a "fishing permit" not a surfing permit! or a sun bathing permit! 2- when you walk down the path to the northside of mtk and watch surfer after surfer pass and look at the BIG sighn that says NO SURFING ALLOWED!!! THATS A PROBLEM!! I feel it is very unsafe to mix fishing line/lures w/three trebles with surfers??? the surf fishing community does alot for charity beach clean ups and plantings. Do the surfing group come close to matching us in that willingness to give back?

heritage. and also if they will apply access across the board then homeowners too must yield and allow access to their beaches if they are for everyone to enjoy, but that aint gonna happen. li has been a fishing community long before surfers hit the scene. now surfers are minimizing what little access we have. how has surfing contributed to long islands heritage and economy? the fishermen are losing access, the two groups cant safely or practically coexist on the same surf. whats next? skateboarders fighting for access to skate in the streets? sorry that there is little surfing access, but fishing was here first. you cant take that away from the very activity that helped LI thrive. surfing is strictly fun for the user involved, fishing has been woven into the fabric of the community, argue all you want.

i am not against surfing, just against losing more access. if nys state opened all its beaches, and homeowners allowed access, we wouldn't be having as much as a problem co-habitating. but with more fisherman and less access then i think the spoils go to the biggest generator of tourism dollars and general payback to the community, something fishing has over surfing hands down.

Did they give the windsurfers access to Caumsett, like they said they would????

Were they really considering this?

Why is beach access a bad thing?

The beach is not there specifically for you to fish.

The beach is not there specifically for you to surf.

The beach is not there specifically for you to sunbathe or start watch.

The beach is not there specifically for you to walk the dog.

The beach is not there specifically for you to……

The beach is public access that is there for everyone to enjoy. Common curtsey goes a long way, and unfortunate it is something that many have forgotten. Surfers and kayakers do not scare fish any more then you tossing a big ass lure in the water. Come early, stay late, and respect the environment and those who enjoy it.

I don’t expect people to move so I can launch my kayak, but I do expect them to respect my desire to return to shore in the general area that I started at.

"Common curtesy" there you have the it. Surfers do not and never have from all my contacts with them ever showed an once of curtesy. They will walk right in front of you and put their boards in the water and than surf in front of you. I have walked away from them going as much as 200 yards down the beach only to have them ride waves right to in frount of me again. As for returning to "general area " just how big is the area are you talking about, mile , half mile or 200 yards? Oh while we're at it should I also look out for where ever your dog did his business too.

Today I just got one more good reason to leave this State.A real kangaroo board of phony political shoo in's,expensive empty suits,I don't know how they can look themselves in a mirror in the morning.It was a done deal before we all entered the room.Thanks Doc,Tom,Willie and everyone else for at least standing up to that group of rubber stampers.Time for everyone who fishes in this state[including myself] to stop standing on the sidelines and watching.

I was at the meeting today and heard Chairman Erwin make a big speech about the democratic process and then pass a resolution that favored the surfer minority at the meeting. Funny, I always thought the majority ruled in the democratic process. Obviously, that rule does not apply to the State Parks Commissioners.:mad: This is not the end of this episode with the surfers - it's time to start writing letters to your legislative representatives, the Governor and the Regional Director for the state park system in our area because you can bet your last dollar the surfers will be writing to push their agenda.

What about co-existing , I have NO problem casting into a bunch of surfers where I'm fishing .... I'll say OPP'S I'M SORRY!!!!! Didn't see ya....

Allowing equal access for other user groups does not deminish access for fishermen. I fish and surf and am glad that the blatant descrimination seems to be coming to an end.

Allowing equal access for other user groups does not deminish access for fishermen. I fish and surf and am glad that the blatant descrimination seems to be coming to an end.

Right, and we should open the parkways up to commercial traffic so everyone has equal use of the roadways.:rolleyes: