Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

Tuff day with the new puppy...

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

1st off, TJ (my new English Springer Spaniel) has been doing great. 4 and half months old, pretty much house trained, listens, sleeps "enough" not all night, but at least I get 6-7 hours sleep.. anyway, my wife needed some time today without the dog, so I take my 6 year old daughter and TJ to the dog park.. TJ walks in, is greeted by the 10-15 dogs as usual at the park and after 5 minutes, I notice a dog acting "wierd" towards him.. showing hes the alpha dog, posturing aggressively.. what Im failing to mention is that the other dog is a PIT BULL.. hes played with tons of pits at the park before and never had an issue, until today.. before I could walk over (about 10 yards), I hear a bone shattering yelp from my dog, the Pit is attacking him, has him by the front paw.. I get there in a split second, grab the pit from hehind the ears, ripped him off my dog and launch the put bull about 10-15 yards through the air, my dog runs away yelp and screaming like ive never heard before. when I get to him, there is BLOOD squirting out of his front paw and he is screaming.. EVERYONE in the dog park is helping at this point.. the PIT Owner is a woman in her mid 50's who was crying and so sorry this happened. she did everything right, she helped me find an animal hospital and made sure I knew where it was (gave me her phone # and took mine), another woman actually had me follow her.. so anyway, I get to Googinators (John's) animal hospital and I have the bleeding under control.. 6 stitches all together in three differnt spots.. While im there the PIT's owner called the animal hospital and informed them that she would cover all medical costs (over $400) which I thought was incredible and very much appreciated.. anyway, TJ is home now, with a shaved paw, and just laying around in a moraphine daze.. I feel aweful that my 6 year old had watch "her" puppy getting attacked by a pit bull

theres more to the story... Ill tell it when I get some more time, anyway, I almost got in a fist fight with a guy at the park who was screaming @ the poor woman who owned the put bull... Ill give that account in a little while.. gotta run out to the store..

BC

so the lady was doing everything right and some jerk off was still yelling at her?

yea, i'd have wanted to punch him in the teeth too.

View Postso the lady was doing everything right and some jerk off was still yelling at her?

yea, i'd have wanted to punch him in the teeth too.

Some people just lose their **** in stressful situations. Fairly typical reaction in these parts, unfortunatly.

View PostSome people just lose their **** in stessful situations. Fairly typical reation in these parts, unfortunatly.

but what business was it of that man's to get involved in the first place? and if he cursed in front of the kid, too... i suppose i may have lost my **** in that situation too.

i'm glad the pup is ok... and that there really are responsible pet owners out there! sounds like the experience with the PEOPLE was more positive than negative... and that's rare, so that's good.

Sorry for your rough day. Don't blame it on a 'pit', just as easily could've been any other dog. I generally tell my clients to avoids dog parks, too much trouble, too many different personalities, too many owners that don't pay attention to their dogs. Better off finding a friend with a dog and having a playdate in a more control environment.

I hate to say this, but pit bulls are not to be trusted around young dogs, or dogs too small or young to defend themselves. My present lab Charlie, was viciously attacked by an adult pit bull when he was but 5 months old.

I went out of my way to swim him at pond, out in the woods. Out of nowhere, this pit bull just materialized. He went into that 'alpha dog stance', rigid legs, hackle up, tail up, avoiding eye contact, and a deep rumbling low growl....

I called my dog over asap, and told the other dog to 'screw'. In the background I could hear it's owner yelling "don't worry, he doesn't bite, he can't bite'...

No sooner did he say that and the pit bull attacked! Had my Charlie in his jaws and was shaking him around like a rag doll! I had a rigid training bumper in my hand, and I grabbed the pit bull behind the ears, and hit him repeatedly over the head, again, and again, but he wouldn't release. Finally the owner arrived, and we managed to seperate the dogs. My poor little guy took off like a shot. I was surprised that in spite of all the biting, there was no blood?headscratch.gif

I dressed down the owner face-to-face for taking a 'dog like this' out in public. He gave me a real attitude and told me to chill out, as the dog could bite because he had no teeth!

Apparently the dog was so mean, he had all his teeth removed.kooky.gif

View PostI hate to say this, but pit bulls are not to be trusted around young dogs, or dogs too small or young to defend themselves. My present lab Charlie, was viciously attacked by an adult pit bull when he was but 5 months old.

I went out of my way to swim him at pond, out in the woods. Out of nowhere, this pit bull just materialized. He went into that 'alpha dog stance', rigid legs, hackle up, tail up, avoiding eye contact, and a deep rumbling low growl....

I called my dog over asap, and told the other dog to 'screw'. In the background I could hear it's owner yelling "don't worry, he doesn't bite, he can't bite'...

No sooner did he say that and the pit bull attacked! Had my Charlie in his jaws and was shaking him around like a rag doll! I had a rigid training bumper in my hand, and I grabbed the pit bull behind the ears, and hit him repeatedly over the head, again, and again, but he wouldn't release. Finally the owner arrived, and we managed to seperate the dogs. My poor little guy took off like a shot. I was surprised that in spite of all the biting, there was no blood?headscratch.gif

I dressed down the owner face-to-face for taking a 'dog like this' out in public. He gave me a real attitude and told me to chill out, as the dog could bite because he had no teeth!

Apparently the dog was so mean, he had all his teeth removed.kooky.gif

That was horrible. That dog should be shot.

View Postbut what business was it of that man's to get involved in the first place? .........

I hear you, but..... This is suburbia and it was a pit bull attack. Guy made it his business.

Not sayin he was right but I'm not surprised that he did.

Because my dog is only 26lbs and that she likes to play with everyone she meets, I get nervous around big dogs that seem to control the owner.

Is it illegal to kill someones dog if it attacks yours?

hey Mokes -You just call the cops - This happened today -

New Bedford police shoot and kill pit bull in attack

By Brian Fraga / New Bedford Standard-Times

Saturday, May 7, 2011 - Added 15 hours ago

NEW BEDFORD - Police shot and killed a pit bull that witnesses said jumped a fence and attacked a small dog this week in the South End.

The incident is the latest in a string of recent attacks that has two City Council subcommittees considering a breed-specific pit bull ordinance.

"This is a major public safety issue, especially now in the spring and good weather. Anybody anywhere is at risk," At-Large City Councilor Debora Coelho said...

Originally Posted by Swanney

View Post

hey Mokes -You just call the cops - This happened today -

New Bedford police shoot and kill pit bull in attack

By Brian Fraga / New Bedford Standard-Times

Saturday, May 7, 2011 - Added 15 hours ago

NEW BEDFORD - Police shot and killed a pit bull that witnesses said jumped a fence and attacked a small dog this week in the South End.

The incident is the latest in a string of recent attacks that has two City Council subcommittees considering a breed-specific pit bull ordinance.

"This is a major public safety issue, especially now in the spring and good weather. Anybody anywhere is at risk," At-Large City Councilor Debora Coelho said...

Yeah, but that's not gonna help in real time. Just curious if you could be arrested for killing somebody's mutt for attacking yours? I'm pretty protective of this little rugrat that I used to hate, lol.

Mokes, in Fla you'd be justified.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (WSVN) -- A fight between two dog owners came to a violent end when one of the owners said he had no choice but to shoot the other's dogs, leaving one of them dead.

George Doudhty said he was walking his dog Monday morning, near the intersection of Indiana and Carolina Avenues, when a 1-year-old pit bull and a pregnant, 6-year-old rottweiler attacked his pet. Witnesses said Doudhty produced a firearm and opened fire on the oncoming canines.

According to reports, the pit bull died at the scene. Fort Lauderdale Police rushed the wounded rottweiler to a veterinary hospital.

According to neighbors, Doudhty's dog was attacked on his property by the other pair of dogs owned by Randy Daise, several months ago. Daise said Doudhty had been seeking revenge for that attack. "He came by [my home] with his dog, and I forgot to lock my back door," said Daise. "My dogs came out, so my dogs roam in the yard. They don't bite people. I don't raise dogs to bite people; I raise them to be loving. The dog he killed fought his dog down at [Doudhty's] house. I went down, I paid his doctor bills, all of that; two places. And he told me, if he catches them out again, he's coming down there, he's going to kill them."

Doudhty, who was questioned by police, will not face any charges for several reasons, among them being that the event took place on public property, he had his dog on a leash, the other dogs were loose, Florida's "Stand Your Ground" self-defense law and Doudhty's possession of a concealed weapons permit. "All I can say, he's a good person, you know, very good," said Pauline Harvey, the gunman's neighbor. "He looks out for the neighborhood."

(Copyright 2011 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)