Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TruthorConsequences

Tipping...What's the reasoning behind it?

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Preface:

I am a good tipper...I just don't know why. And that, is the topic of this post.

(NOT what a cheap bastid I am, for even asking such a politically incorrect question.) wink.gif

Who chooses which groups of people should be paid extra for doing their jobs?

I mean, if a firefighter carries me out of a burning building, then I could understand if I was expected to give him a tip.

But why am I expected to tip a waiter, for waiting on me?

But would never be allowed to "tip" a Firefighter, for pulling me out of a burning building?

I like to tip basically everyone, I'd rathe rthe train of thought when I walk back into a place be:

Hey, here comes that really nice fella.

as opposed to

Hey, here comes that cheap cheap prik, lemme wipe my ass with his pancakeswink.gif

But that's jsut me

View PostI like to tip basically everyone, I'd rathe rthe train of thought when I walk back into a place be:

as opposed to

Hey, here comes that cheap cheap prik, lemme wipe my ass with his pancakeswink.gif

But that's jsut me

cwm15.gifbiggrin.gif

Tipping in a place for frequent is not a bad idea.

My Mom is a notoriously bad tipper. Most people from her generation are.

Several years back, I take my Mom out to dinner to a local place in Worcester I've been going to basically since high school and all through college. Very good food, in and out, loud waitresses, but they REMEMBER you.

One night in March, my Mom and I are standing on the sidewalk waiting to get in. It's snowing, the line is out the door and down the sidewalk. One of the waitresses spots me from inside, taps on the window, and motions me to the door. In front of everyone, she tells us to come in, and gets us the next available table, right in front of the chef.cwm27.gif

Food here is crazy reasonable. We get our meals, incredibly good. Halfway through my meal, the waitress comes over, takes my plate, and hands it over the counter to the chef, who dumps 7-8 more shrimp on it. My Mom can't believe her eyes.

The bill comes, and it's something like $22. I left $32, and left it at that.

MY MOM HITS THE ROOF!!!!!mad.gif She thinks I'm nuts!kooky.gif I tired explaining to her, this is why we got seated. Otherwise, we'd still be outside cooling our heels in the snow like the other cheapskates.cwm27.gif (she did not agree)

View PostI like to tip basically everyone, I'd rathe rthe train of thought when I walk back into a place be:

as opposed to

But that's jsut me

First of all...You need a spell checker. wink.gif

(Are you using Internet Explorer?)

Secondly, the fact that you fear repercussions for not giving a tip (to certain select individuals), is my whole point. cwm15.gif

When a cop stops to check on me, and make sure I'm okay, (as I'm sitting on the ground next to my car, in the middle of the night, trying to get my waders off)......beers.gif

Why can't I get him to accept a chewed up tandem rigged Slug-go? (After finding out that he hasn't caught a damn thing in over a week, while fishing bait from his boat.)

View PostTrue story:

A friend of mine got pulled over for speeding on the Pa. turnpike back in the 1970's. He gave the cop a $20 "tip" and the ticket disappeared.

In the 70's....I hadn't been born yet.

Sooo....525

I'm sure there's not a Canadien alive today that could answer your question. To them, there is no reason behind tipping because well.... what's a tip?headscratch.gif