Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

Do you folks change your backing each year?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Never. My oldest salt water reel that I use regularly is over five years old. My trout reels have backing that is over ten years old but they really don't count since I have seen the backing exactly twice while trout fishing.

Since I have always, for the past 53 years, used non-degradable dacron....now more recently non-degradble gelspun TUF (80#) the answer is:

Less than once per lifetime. But it probably lasts longer than that.

If you get wear and abrasion....lucky you....then sure, cut that back. But otherwise, just out and back in the deep blue.....never. But be sure, these days with stronger cored fly lines and heavier leaders than were ever used 20 years ago...you have a backing that is SUBSTANTIALLY stronger than the breaking strength of your leader OR fly line.

Peter Patricelli

Everytime I get a new line, I replace the backing while I'm at it.

Every year, I probably replace at least half of my reels and spools with line and backing - that is at least all of my 8wts anyway.

I am in with some of the other replies .... Nope. I don't even change fly lines once a year. I replace fly lines as they show signs of needing to be replaced.

No but I always redo the rigging on the backing on every reel that sees the backing regularly during the year - actually I redo them on all my primary reels (which see the backing on a regular basis) as well as my back up reels - never know when you're going to hook up with the granddaddy of fish...

Yep , all knots , leaders , tippets, loops and flies are gone each spring.

Why chance dropping a 30lb fish for half an hour of prep and $20 of material.

I do about every two years because I store my reels in the house. Now if I stored them in the garage I would have to change my backing twice a year because of extreme heat and a very dry climate.