any trappers in here-???? about pelt

Rate this topic

dogboy

tied to a pine board and in a plastic bag, a fresh roadkill fisher cat now resides

somebody ran right over his head soon before i drove along

i drove by a freshly hit beaver a couple of springs ago, but somebody had scarfed it up before i went back a little later

i want to make myself a warm fur hat for ice fishing- i have a mink dyed rabbit, official red army winter hat, complete with hammer and sickle- but it is a bit small, and rabbit is not too good for the cold really

i will probably take the thing to a taxidermist- i have skinned a few animals for the table, but i'd rather job this one out so they can tan it correctly

anybody ever made a fur hat, or know something about fur animal pelts they want to share?

A fisher cat lid is big medicine icon14.gif

Better check the regs, the pelt may have to be sealed by DNR before it can be released to a taxidermist or tannery.

cwm8.gif

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."
Who can hope to be safe? Who sufficiently cautious? Guard himself as he may, every moment's an ambush. Horace

View PostA fisher cat lid is big medicine icon14.gif

Better check the regs, the pelt may have to be sealed by DNR before it can be released to a taxidermist or tannery.

cwm8.gif

spoke to a guy at fish and wildlife

he is sending me a "mounting permit"---(could have really used one in my early 20s!)

i guess it is a one time thing for just this sort of windfall

a couple of taxidermists i spoke with want about 2 bills to skin and tan the thing

only one of them asked about a permit

View Postspoke to a guy at fish and wildlife

he is sending me a "mounting permit"---(could have really used one in my early 20s!)

i guess it is a one time thing for just this sort of windfall

a couple of taxidermists i spoke with want about 2 bills to skin and tan the thing

only one of them asked about a permit

IMHO, it's always a good idea to stay square with the law when dealing with furbearers.

Love to see some pics when it comes back from the tannery.

cwm8.gif

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."
Who can hope to be safe? Who sufficiently cautious? Guard himself as he may, every moment's an ambush. Horace

View Posttied to a pine board and in a plastic bag, a fresh roadkill fisher cat now resides

somebody ran right over his head soon before i drove along

i drove by a freshly hit beaver a couple of springs ago, but somebody had scarfed it up before i went back a little later

i want to make myself a warm fur hat for ice fishing- i have a mink dyed rabbit, official red army winter hat, complete with hammer and sickle- but it is a bit small, and rabbit is not too good for the cold really

i will probably take the thing to a taxidermist- i have skinned a few animals for the table, but i'd rather job this one out so they can tan it correctly

anybody ever made a fur hat, or know something about fur animal pelts they want to share?

You can buy tanned pelts all over the internet alot cheaper then doing this from scratch. The Canadian taxidermist sell complete mounts for about $300 on ebay. If there is ever a pow-wow in your area you will find thousands of tanned hides for sale cheap.

BARRELL

View PostYou can buy tanned pelts all over the internet alot cheaper then doing this from scratch. The Canadian taxidermist sell complete mounts for about $300 on ebay. If there is ever a pow-wow in your area you will find thousands of tanned hides for sale cheap.

good to know- this one might be a little small to cover my squash

i could probably trim it out with muskrat if i had to

If you wanted I think you could tan that yourself. I did a few skins when I was a kid. There are few ways to tan it but what I did was basicly a couple applications of salt/alum paste, scraping, washing, drying on a stretcher. I'm sure there are instructions online. 2 bills seems like a lot.

I drove by a fresh roadkill beaver last week, first I one ever saw.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

View PostIf you wanted I think you could tan that yourself. I did a few skins when I was a kid. There are few ways to tan it but what I did was basicly a couple applications of salt/alum paste, scraping, washing, drying on a stretcher. I'm sure there are instructions online. 2 bills seems like a lot.

I drove by a fresh roadkill beaver last week, first I one ever saw.

i gave it some serious thought- but with the missus being a city girl and all, i figured keeping it in the freezer for a while was already asking enough

it is keeping a small raptor company, a merlin or sharp shinned type of hawk smashed into a window a couple of years ago, probably trying to chase down a sparrow- i couldn't bring myself to throw it away

• 2 weeks later...

I'd check the laws on the hawk. I don't know about Mass law but it is against the law to have a dead one under any circumstance in NY. Live falcons may be used for falconery with a permit but I believe that when they die they have to be destroyed. I have tanned several animals (beaver, muskrat, mink and fox) to use for trapper training classes (I was an instructor) but it is a messy, smelly process and your other half probably won't be overjoyed with it. I know mine wasn't.