Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thill

WHAT IS THAT SMELL??? or, Know any good recipies for POLECAT?? (Boat fishing report)

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Towing my boat, on the way to Solomons yesterday, for a second, I saw a black object scurrying across the road in front of my truck. But it was too late. Thump-thump.

Before I could think back to try and remember what the creature looked like, the WAVE of overpowering stench hit me. UGH!!!! SKUNK!

Not to worry, I was sure the road spray would wash it off...

Arriving at Solomons, to meet Mark, we found a big sheet of ice and snow. It didn't look good. But I had come prepared with shovel and sand and we dug a path to the water.

Dropped the boat into some VERY low water conditions. In fact, I have never seen the water that low. The end of the ramp dock was only in 2 feet of water. Good thing I only draft 15"! Surely, a good run would finally wash that smell off.

Ran around towards the Rips. Stopped off at the Gas Docks for a look around. The fishfinder was as barren as the cratered face of the moon. Not a blip. The tide was dead still.

Ran on up to the rips with high hopes. Due to the salt spray, the smell had faded, but it was still lingering a bit in the background.

Drifted the current, casting 5" albino assassins...

Nothing.

No problem, this is just like last time. Once we anchor...

We anchored in the fast water and started fishing the pattern that produced last time.

Nothing.

We shook things up, switching colors, jig weights, areas of the rip, fast water, slow water, casting upstream, crosstream, and down stream, we tried 7" assassins, we tried slow retrieves, fast ones, big hops, little hops, we tried the "glide in the tide", we tried the "thud in the mud", we tried everything we could think of.

Nothing, not even a bump. And another thing, that darn smell was NOT coming off!

The tide never moved at all, the entire time we were there, from 1 PM to 5:30 PM. I think that only tide may have washed that awful smell off. But who knows?

On the bright side, the boat ran well, and it was a BEAUTIFUL day on the bay! Bright, sunny, flat seas, snow covered scenery, and we were the only boat on the bay, besides a big cargo ship that slowly made it's way down the bay. What more could you ask? I got some great photos.

When we got back to the ramp, we were searched by the DNR, who were training new officers. They really thought we had fish on board. I didn't mind, but now my boat is a bit jumbled up.

You know, those DNR guys were unbelievable. Apparrently, they just couldn't smell the skunk. biggrin.gif

TH

Disclaimer: The skunk at the beginning of the story was fictional. No skunks were actually harmed in the making of this post. This post is not intended to upset lovers of skunks, regardless of the state they live in. I understand that they make fine pets and are also good eating. Although some are offended by the fragrance that skunks produce, we are by no means putting skunks down, but accept them an an important part of the ecology. biggrin.gif

Local dialect.

Up north we call them. blowfish

Chesapeake,they call them toadfish

And by the time you get to the Banks they call them blow-toads.... smile.gif

TH

sorry to hear bout the skunk,she's not ever welcome.But at least you are fishing,there is nothing happening up here

Actually, I think they are called oyster toads. Very ugly fish that really looks like a toad, with a huge, wide mouth, and little pop up eyes. They do not blow up like the blowfish. Sound familiar?

TH

Thill, yup, they are called Oyster Crackers around here...their actual name is an Oyster Toadfish as you pointed out, Opsanus tau to be more specific...they are ugly as sin and viscious to boot! I've taken some big fellas while fly fishing..seem they like white clousers pretty much...and they will bite anything that gets near them. They have extremely stong jaws (thus, oyster cracker) and should be handled carefully. Charlie and I were once unhooking a double...on flies..they were both enormous, but the one I had was about 2#'s... a lil bigger than Charlies. As they lie on the ground ready for the push back into the water...the little one leaped over and stuffed the bigger ones face in it's mouth...you could hear the crunching!! I pushed 'em back in the drink...they drifted out of site still locked together! I've had them try and snap at my sneakers or boots...they are mean...if they can crush an oyster, guess what they could do to your toes in sneakers!!! OUCH!

TimS

WOW!

I caught one about that size down at the CBBT a month ago, and I never knew they got that big!

Those things are UGLY!

Imagine if they got to be 4 or 5 feet long... Move over Jaws! TOADZILLA is in town! biggrin.gif

TH

For all of you that have not had the pleasure of catching one, here is a quick pic

toadfish.JPG

------------------

Francis

"Salt Shaker"

VHF 9,16,68,73,74

Solomons, Most Weekends

[This message has been edited by Francis (edited 01-31-2000).]

I thought they were called Sally Growlers (Native Marine PArk, 80' Navesink River term) or was it Sally Growling Toad Cracking Oyster Fish...or was it Rocky Mount oyster toads. Growling cause Sally's Cracking My Rocky Mountain Oysters...or something or other. Thill....I don't see anything either. biggrin.gif

--geoff

gmiller@stripersonline.com

[This message has been edited by GMILLER (edited 01-31-2000).]

Ughh. I hate those things. Luckily I haven't seen one since I was a little kid. Use to catch them in crab traps. My father would get them out of the boat by sticking the end of a knife in their mouth. When they clamped down on it, he'd flip them back into the water, unharmed.

My grandfather has me scared witless of those things by demonstrating what their jaws can do to a shell.

Tim, thanks for that vivid little story. I should have a few of my childhood nightmares come back to haunt me tonight....

come on, you mean to tell me that with all them fancy marine electronics you guys have, you can't afford anything better than a disposable camera smile.gif

We called them oyster crackers and if you boil down their head and bleach it you get a fine skull second only to shark jaws.(thats the only use I ever found for them).