Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Maine Flounder

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Since Long Island flounder fishing is such a sad shadow of what it was even fifteen years ago, I'm wondering if it's possible to take a late spring vacation and find good flounder anywhere. I understand that Quincy isn't worth the effort and hasn't been for years.

Anyone know anything of flounder fishing in Maine? Or (if it come to that) Newfoundland?

I am minded to take a Maine trip anyway, is it possible to enjoy a good days' fishing in Maine for flounder?

Not for nothing Brian.. But I work with a guy that fished Quincy Bay w/in the last five years and said his spring trips up there yielded 'buckets' of snowshoe sized flounder.. Think the last time he said he was up there was like 97' or 98'..

We had a great spring here in Jersey, the best in 3-4 years - in both numbers and size..

There are plenty of Flounder in Quincy! I keep my boat at a slip there and usually never have a problem limiting out. 10 per day limit though. There are no rental boats that i know of in the area but some good local 6 pack boats..

Mully,

I fished flounder years ago in Maine and it was excellent. Don't know the current situation up there, however with the overfishing of other groundfish my guess is that the flounder fishing may not be as good as it once was.

Quincy flounder is starting to come back but still has a daily 10 fish limit.

Newfoundland or Nova Scotia had excellent flounder fishing back in the early 1980's. Can't say how it is today. We just fished is a rented skiff right in the harbor and the fishing was awesome. The fish processing plants around the harbor were a constant source of chum and the bottom of the harbor was paved with fish. It was really "stupid fishing".

Al

If yer gonna go to maine, I'd go sea duck hunting... why cast, when you can blast?

gad

Oh spring nevermind, don't shoot the ducks. Shoot pike on Lake Champlain (VT side only)

[This message has been edited by gadwall8 (edited 11-28-2001).]

I was in Maine in late April of 2000 in Southwest Harbor and there was excelent Flounder fishing there. There were two boats that you could go out on, one was the Lady Anne and for the life of I can't remember the name of the other. The thing that was

really fantastic was that you would catch a small Cod or Pollack every so often, no monsters but fun to catch. Just think its only a 9 or 10 hour drive away.

"I remember," flounder being easy stupid fishing, and I wish I had a chance to share that with my niece & nephew. Well, thanks for the info, gents. I get up to Maine, I'll post a report. Heck - maybe I'll drive all the way to Halifax. See what their limits are.

I saw some awesome flounder catches in Gloucester, watched a couple of guys in small skiff come in with a spackle bucket overflowing with nice 12 - 15 inch fish spring before last. Lot closer than Maine and likely to have some rental skiffs or partyboats available in the area (I was a tourist, so can't help ya much on that point). Might be worth some calls to the local tackle shops if no one here can help you.