Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobby

We have Sheepshead Bay, but no Sheepshead!

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I saw some sheepshead in Long Island waters last summer on 2 separate days.  It was exciting seeing them near the surface.  It was definitely a rare sighting.  

On 4/7/2021 at 11:31 PM, Joe Atom said:

I saw some sheepshead in Long Island waters last summer on 2 separate days.  It was exciting seeing them near the surface.  It was definitely a rare sighting.  

Near the surface?  Are you suire that they were sheepshead, and not black drum?

Sheepshead usually relate to structure more or less like blackfish do, and stay close to the bottom.

Yea came up towards surface near bridge.  Couldnt believe it and few others caught glimpse of it too.  

as for black drum, seen babies like 5-6”  in the backbays only a few times.  This was last summer.

I seen cod in Jones inlet standing on the fundy bridge. Two moving against tide further into the bay. Night time had A very clear view they were on top. Never knew cod moved into the bay who knows why fish do what they do sometimes. 

7 hours ago, CWitek said:

Near the surface?  Are you suire that they were sheepshead, and not black drum?

Sheepshead usually relate to structure more or less like blackfish do, and stay close to the bottom.

18 hours ago, Joe Atom said:

Yea came up towards surface near bridge.  Couldnt believe it and few others caught glimpse of it too.  

as for black drum, seen babies like 5-6”  in the backbays only a few times.  This was last summer.

Near a bridge makes sense; just followed the structure up to the surface.

A few years ago, I had a school of big black drum surface next to the boat when I was fluke fishing about 12 miles ESE of Fire Island Inlet.  But they were very nervous, and spooked just from my movement when I reached for a rod rigged with a bucktail that I could cast to the fish.