Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rick G

Alou eel?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

just looking through my plug crate and found an old "alou eel"..about 9" long w/ a tin squid head.forgot i had it.has anyone ever fished one of these w/ any success?looks pretty good,but i've never fished a "plastic"rigged eel?

Aaaaahhh, the Alou. A name from my youth. Wonderful bass eel. The last firm to own the name and production equipment went bankrupt about ten years ago. ..... a semicollectable there, and a great great lure.

Designed by two people I believe, Al Ristori and Lou Reinfelder, or someone like that??? I can picture it in the old Garcia Annual. When was that last published???

Close... that woulda been Al Reinfelder and Lou Palma, I do believe. Sorry I can't say when the good old Garcia Fishing Annual cashed its check, but I don't believe it survived much into the 80's, if that long.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 11-14-2000).]

Thanks, Bill. I remember it fondly. Always looked forward to Milt Rosko's contributions. Frank Daignault, too--"Slaughter at Pochet Hole" in particular. Loved to drool over the tackle I couldn't afford. Remember Royal Bonnyl mono? What color was it...

Garcia Annuals

Sixteen [16]issues 1963 through 1978 on hand.

Never found any before '63 or after '78.

I dislike throwing books away!

tg

Bill - I owe you an email. One will be sent later, after fuzzies go away. Had three wood carving classes at camp this weekend. Later.

Tony

[This message has been edited by TonyG (edited 11-14-2000).]

Nice collection, Tony! Those are certainly the prime years for the annual that I can recall. Wish I still had a few of my old originals; fun nostalgia to read thru some of those oldies.

tombro, I well remember daydreaming thru some "if only" shopping trips thru the back pages of the annual. Royal Bonnyl - now Royal Bonnyl II - is, somewhat amazingly, still available. Cabela's, supposedly due to "great customer demand", still offers the stuff. Brown as ever, it is, and one of my old Florida fishing compadres must be among the "demanding customers" keeping the product alive; after all these years, it's still his favorite mono.

I tested out Amazon.com's service for getting out of print books by looking for Reinfelder's "Fishing the Bait Tail." Got a listing of a dozen copies and bought one from a store in Tucson (!?!) Still a good bass book, especially for the bridge fishing set.