Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Cheese

Third times a charm

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

For the third time this season my orvis waders have developed a rip in the upper right boot. Same spot every time, I just don't get it. Have any other Orvis users had this happen to them?

I just got a pair of Orvis Endura waders about two months ago. So far they have been a great wader for the price. My Hodgmans had leaks all around the top of the boots after two seasons. So far I like stockingfoots on the beach, gravel guards are a must.Rollcast

I've seen waders get that same tear Cheese...it's from trying to pull on yer boots by grabbing them above the boot/wader seam. Try grabbing the boot itself instead of the waders above the boot when you pull them on...it'll probably save you a lotta grief with tears like that smile.gif

TimS

The rip is actually right above where my big toe meets my foot, not where the boot connects to the pant. This is the third new pair Orvis has stocked me with, and it's happened in the same spot every time. It appears to be a defect, which I'm surprised no one has encountered yet. Orvis may have a good return policy, but this is crazy. As for the leaks, I look at these things and they get leaks. I kneel down to release a fish, I get a knee leak. I sit down in between tides, an I get an ass leak. I think it's time for something new.

I think proper maintenance of these waders are extremely important, especially with neoprene stock foot waders. I don't know about you guys but after every use, I turn my waders upside down and wash them from boots to chest (upside down so water doesn't get into the wader). I then hang dry them until I'm ready to use them again. On top of that, about every 2 weeks of use, I would machine wash the waders with my other fishing gears (rags, clothing, socks, gloves, etc...) on "delicate" wash with a small amount of detergent then hang dry. This is actually recommended by Orvis label, it keeps the waterproof fabric clean and breathable. I have used my breathable waders with neoprene stock foot waders for about 25-30 times now doing this process and so far I have been fortunate enough not to get any leak (knock on wood). The wader still looks brand new.

Cheese: you mentioned your waders leaked three times at the same spot. If you're using neoprene stock foot, you might want to check your boots, there might be something in the boot rubbing against your neoprene boot causing it to separate at the same spot all the time.