Calling out sick

Rate this topic

freshy

I've been thinking about this lately since a lot of people at work have been getting sick.

I have a couple co-workers that get sick rather often. One sneezes and calls out of work. kooky.gif The other gets sick to the point of looking like complete death, but still comes in ALL the time. I'm not talking a little cough or cold. She is literally puking in the bathroom, and even her trash barrel more than I like to talk about. cwm31.gif She's a really good friend of mine, but whenever this happens, I tell her she should stay home and rest. Instead she's there infecting the rest of the office. Am I being selfish that I don't want her there in this little space 8 of us share, getting germs on everything she touches?

We get sick days, so money shouldn't be an issue. She's very dedicated to her job, but to be that sick and just suffer all damn day doesn't seem worth it to me. Especially when it's stomach issues. That seems to travel to everyone and back again. I know some jobs don't take it lightly when you call out sick, and some people just don't want to fall behind, but I just don't get it. I'd much rather help her with her work when she's feeling better than to potentially get infected myself. I've gone to work sick with a cough or cold, but I don't even think I'd be able to physically function with the stomach bug. I would feel horrible if I got anyone else sick too. redface.gif

I would think our bosses would rather have 1 person out for 1-2 days instead of people coming in throwing up and now 2-3 more people could potentially be calling out. I've just been thinking about this lately with all the sicknesses I've seen going around where I work.

Any opinions?

Quote:Originally Posted by BranfordJeffYou're a great addition to SOL and singlehandedly may save the class of 09 from being a failure

My opinion is if you are sick, please stay home. Everyone gets the same amount of sick days.

A long time ago (9 years) I use to abuse them. Calling out sick on a bad weather day, have a slight headache, overslept, fishing, you name it, it's on the list. It came to a point where my manager called me into her office and gave me a verbal warning.

Since then my company policy changed a bit because of people abuse sick times. If you call out before or after a holiday, you need a doctor note to come back in. If you call out sick 3 days in a row, you will need a sick note.

They implement that so you are not sick and contagious, you can come back to work.

I agree with both of you. If you're at work 1 day and you're already not feeling well, they aren't going to question why you called out the next day. A lot of people like to use their sick days for personal days, to go to the beach etc, and then show up for work the days they actually are sick. beatin.gif

Quote:Originally Posted by BranfordJeffYou're a great addition to SOL and singlehandedly may save the class of 09 from being a failure

I had unlimited sick at work and never called in more that 6 days a year.... and that was when I was sick.......

"Dont elect a scumbag, no riots, so easy even the alt right should be able to figure it out." - numbnuts

View PostI've sent people home for coming in sick. In places where I wasnt in charge, I'd go to the boss and say something. I dont snitch on people for sneaking breaks or taking long lunches, but when you put other's and my own health at risk, all bets are off.

I told my boss yesterday that I thought he should send her home, not only for my health, but for hers. You're never going to feel better when ill and dealing with work stress. She came in again today. A little later than usual, but that's because her Mom whom she car pools with, called out because she too is now sick! It's an endless gross fest. cwm31.gif

Calling in sick...whats that ? sounds nice...

Last time I was sick at work....103 fever...passed out in the basement on a pile of dirty laundry...they kept piling the work on me....I could get up every 15 -20 minutes...get a little work done then go pass out on the laundry pile again...

he leakin

0 sick days here. unless im dead im going in!

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion 

View Postisnt it calling IN sick?

I was actually thinking which was the correct way to word it on my way home. Calling IN makes sense. Was thinking since you'd be out, maybe it was calling OUT. redface.gif

We used to get unlimited sick days...people did not abuse that policy for obvious reasons...

Since just about everyone has the ability to work from home now there is no need for sick days...unless you are deathly sick then you would have to use a vacation day...but most people are rarely so sick that they cannot even answer an email so i see no point in losing a day...work from home...

Puking at your desk is definitely over the line. I had a job that I hated so much once that being sick at work was a pleasant distraction. I also hated the people I worked with, so if they got sick I would merely enjoy watching them suffer and hope silently that whatever ailed them would make them die. Otherwise, I take sick time when I'm sick and I work from home now.

Hot dogs were invented in 1936 by Larry Hotdogs when he accidentally dropped a bag of prize-winning pig buttholes into his Dick Shaper Machine. :read: