Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skeeter11

smallmouth flies

Rate this topic

187 posts in this topic

I fish primarily for SM in Upstate NY on the Hudson and my hookup ratio for top water SM is very low.  Not sure if its a regional thing as I am originally from Richmond VA and didn't notice that as much down South, perhaps its the relative temperature of the water, or the prevalent nutrient source is generally found mid to low. 

thanks for sharing and making the tying video. Great instructions. How does the Sheeps Fleece react when fished? does it keep the shape or pulsate on the pause for example? I am new to tying and not familiar with that material yet. thank you , tackle addict

I just got back from Quebec, and I couldn't find a pattern they wouldn't eat. I caught a few 3-4 pounders on 7" pike flies tied on 3/0's. Slow days produced 20-30 fish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Local66 View Post

I just got back from Quebec, and I couldn't find a pattern they wouldn't eat. I caught a few 3-4 pounders on 7" pike flies tied on 3/0's. Slow days produced 20-30 fish.

wish I had those kinds of slow days!

Where is did you fish exactly?

Where is did you fish exactly?

I mostly fished the Ottawa river, near Ile Perrot. I bounced around Lac saint Louis, Lac des deux montagnes, and I also fished the Oaro river in Rowdan, and several lakes in Laurentides. I got some big pike and the lake trout that everyone said I couldn't catch ( I brought tungsten lines).

Great. I fish mostly St Lawrence along Seaway Locks in Sainte Catherine

Thank you.1790833

This year purple color worked very well. Simple patterns like leech and rabbit strip with chain eyes. Also some Crazy Charlie style made my day once.

Too cool. I used alot of bigger streamers, mostly Jonny King 's "hoo flies" because they were pretty much indestructible. Chartreuse and orange seemed to get them pretty worked up.

I had local help btw. My good friend Alex and his father were great company, and did a great job of finding steady action. Here's a 19" Alex caught near Chatauguay.

I go up every year, but this is the first time I focused on smallmouth, and I'm glad I did. I usually spend time in Gaspesie, in Causupscal and Rimouski, fishing for atlantic salmon. This year the I just didn't have the cash. To be perfectly honest, I think I'll do smallies from now on. I love the aggressive little bastards.

Grew up on smallies,still my favorite flyrod fish! Probably spend more time fishing for them than anything else.Top one 20",bottom one an avg fish around here,14-15".1639384