Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skeeter11

smallmouth flies

Rate this topic

187 posts in this topic

Could only find some older posts, but what are some good flies to use to catch some smallies on. What are some flies I should always have as well, new to fly fishing but really enjoy it more than spinning tackle.

marabou muddler, clouser, deceaver, and various deer hair popper and sliders. Used to do well with deer hair frogs down here, though its been years since I broke the fly rod out.

Jigman

Dear skeeter,

How do you want to catch your smallmouth? On top, in the middle, or dredging the bottom? Do you tie flies, or do you need to buy them?

For the top you don't need much, any popper will do is size 2, 4, and 6. I make my own with the foam cylinders and some hackle or bucktail. You can buy a couple of pre-made cork poppers just about anywhere if you don't tie or don't have a fly shop nearby. Sneaky Pete's and something in a frog pattern and something in black should cover most of your fishing. Gaines Fly Company makes some nice poppers if you want to look for them.

For the middle of the water just stick with Clouser minnows and you'll only need a couple of colors. Chartreuse and yellow or chartreuse and white are MUST HAVES. Red and white, all black, and all purple are good colors too. If you want to branch out you can make a simple fly with Eztaz and maribou that will look alot like a tube jig when you are done. "Google" 'Lefty's Cactus Minnow' to see what I am talking about.

For underwater nymph type work Clouser swimming nymphs, wooly buggers dead drifted, and some sort of crayfish pattern will take care of that work. You can tie a simple effective crayfish with chenille, squirrel tail for the pincers, and a shell of furry foam. There are more realistic crayfish flies but they are time consuming to tie and I shed a tear or two everytime I get snagged a break one of them off.

Regards,

Tim Murphy smile.gif

Dahlberg divers have to be one of the most fun to fish for smallies.

Jon

In my humble opinion, the Pink Wonder is all you need. Whenever I've fished with a friend, it has out fished their offerings by a wide margin (e.g., 12 to 1). When they switched to a PW, they started catching them too. A simple pink and white clouser, I like #6 hooks for casting ease, mini or XS black brass hourglass eyes, pink thread, bucktail works best, pink is light pink, 2-4 strands of Crystal Flash. Following Lefty's suggestion, I tie these little clousers with a simple stacked wing; larger saltwater jobs tied regular clouser style. I have caught 64 species on this fly, so far. Makes no sense.

19_one-half_inch_Muskegon_River_sma.jpg

I have always done well with the goldie and an olive bead head rubber legged woolly bugger. The goldie is now marketed by Feather Craft as Empies shiner or you can find them at the bears den.

View Postpink bucktail is soooo hard to find around here!!!!!

sometimes butcher shops have tails, gte them from them and dye them your self

"pink bucktail is soooo hard to find around here!!!!!"

Repeal the Defense of Marriage Act!

For those who want to know, Steve S has promised to expose his Pink Wonder to the Striped Bass of Cape Cod in June. They are shaking in their lateral lines. Report to come.

From my club program on Smallmouth Bass of the Columbia River. We use only one fly.

smb21.jpg

smb31.jpg

smb41.jpg

And sometimes we get a surprise!!

smb51.jpg

Peter Patricelli

View PostFeather-Craft; not Cabelas

don't see it. I know cabela's has the random bundles. I usually just go and open all the packages making my own random bundle smile.gif