Otter

tavern fishing reports

Rate this topic

44,361 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, Bernie12 said:

very nice tree :th: im shocked that you had no top freeze on it :b:  ..ive mostly only half buried side shoots as a way to clone off a tree and give it a 2/3 foot head start, not to widen its base..your only gonna get figs off of this year growth (except for some that have a spring breba crop) and again this is just my way of doing it and everybody has a different thought but height isnt the way i go.. i try to keep even a fully bloomed  tree to 7 ft at the most, forcing it (by pruning) to grow unnaturally outwards instead of up.you can pinch the tops of those to stop the upward growth and force rebudding below and feed it like crazy ..i had to pull out all of mine year before last after an over winter attack of voles .. after losing almost a dozen whats left i put into 20lb grow bags.. they were in half shock last year(but still produced some) and this year i radically pruned them down to rebuild .. i still hope to gain 3 to 4 feet along with replacing them with baby clones.. ill take pics tomorrow

first pic- cuttings -3 weeks

2) hard late spring prune

3) black mission -old tree stripped and halved

4)hardy

5)some euro tree, makes decent figs

6)italian honey

7) four pics of 2 plus yr old cuttings(nov 19) that were feed nothing but Alaska  Fish Fertilizer-bovung maunre & a multi purpose food, went from 4'' to 5 feet (havent trimmed yet) letting on sit with brebas-

8)last pic oct 21 cutings

DSC02592.JPG

DSC02593.JPG

DSC02598.JPG

DSC02599.JPG

DSC02602.JPG

DSC02601.JPG

DSC02594.JPG

DSC02596.JPG

DSC02607.JPG

DSC02608.JPG

DSC02605.JPG

Edited by Bernie12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Reed422 said:

I have some saltwater flies I’ll give them a go. You fly fishing or for teasers?

Make your own. Search for white wooden eggs on bezos, instead of a nail drill a 5/16-3/8" hole where the nail is to hand the teaser. Horizontal a bit to start the hole, then straight down, open up enough for the hook to go in and out easily. Through wire, add tail weight if you want.  Easy peasy. Tangle free egg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tom T said:

I have a spindly one in a big bucket. One of the spindles looks like roccos.

 

Would you just cut it half way or is it that too much for the tree to take?

 

Also, is there a time I should transfer from the bucket to the ground?

you could let it toughen up for another year but it wouldnt die if you cut it ..in NJ its best to get it in in the spring to establish roots before the fall/winter.. this old timer had some wisdom

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, hobobob said:

Make your own. Search for white wooden eggs on bezos, instead of a nail drill a 5/16-3/8" hole where the nail is to hand the teaser. Horizontal a bit to start the hole, then straight down, open up enough for the hook to go in and out easily. Through wire, add tail weight if you want.  Easy peasy. Tangle free egg. 

what do i care? i already own some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, HugeDinghy said:

They’re under ten bucks and not something you really lose. 

I don't like the nail design, it tangles during fly and not packable. If I bought the one in the pic, I still pull the nail and drill the hanging hole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only tried to use it once to throw unweighted 9" sluggos. Didn't work too well for me. Do smaller flies do better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, Reed422 said:

I've only tried to use it once to throw unweighted 9" sluggos. Didn't work too well for me. Do smaller flies do better?

 Float and fly, not ball and chain. :laugh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 mins ago, hobobob said:

I don't like the nail design, it tangles during fly and not packable. If I bought the one in the pic, I still pull the nail and drill the hanging hole. 

I don’t use it but don’t bother pulling it either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, shb said:

Pike, and bass eat the same flies.

 

Google pike flies.

 

 

They should be big enough to keep the pan fish at bay.

Pike on a sissy stick in 10' tall grass beds was some of the most fun I've ever had fishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bernie12 said:

very nice tree :th: im shocked that you had no top freeze on it :b:  ..ive mostly only half buried side shoots as a way to clone off a tree and give it a 2/3 foot head start, not to widen its base..your only gonna get figs off of this year growth (except for some that have a spring breba crop) and again this is just my way of doing it and everybody has a different thought but height isnt the way i go.. i try to keep even a fully bloomed  tree to 7 ft at the most, forcing it (by pruning) to grow unnaturally outwards instead of up.you can pinch the tops of those to stop the upward growth and force rebudding below and feed it like crazy ..i had to pull out all of mine year before last after an over winter attack of voles .. after losing almost a dozen whats left i put into 20lb grow bags.. they were in half shock last year(but still produced some) and this year i radically pruned them down to rebuild .. i still hope to gain 3 to 4 feet along with replacing them with baby clones.. ill take pics tomorrow

:read:  :th:

 

thanks for your pics and splaining too bernie. i was surpised how well it did over the winter too. some years have been brutal, cut back to the ground brutal. but it does come back. i just haven't found the right amount of work/amount of harvest ratio to make me feel like all the trouble is worth it yet.

6 hours ago, Tom T said:

I have a spindly one in a big bucket. One of the spindles looks like roccos.

 

Would you just cut it half way or is it that too much for the tree to take?

 

Also, is there a time I should transfer from the bucket to the ground?

i have a couple like this that i want to get in the ground this year too. tired of them needing garage space every winter. my eyetie buddy carmen told me put them in the ground on their third year. mine are probably on their fourth or fifth season in a planter by now. 

 

the advice about putting them up against a fence or wall seems like a good one to me, if that is an option for you :th: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.