Otter

tavern fishing reports

Rate this topic

36,516 posts in this topic

Introduced the boy to the world of wade fishing on a little river close by.  Water felt nice surprisingly.  Caught mini SMB, google-eyes, chubs and a million freshwater tarpon.   Also found 4 leftover stockers that came home with us.  Good day.  

On 5/26/2020 at 9:25 PM, HugeDinghy said:

not even a season....horrible quality on the eyes

damn, that's not good. that's what i was getting out of the gray ghost bean boots, which i loved, but they eyelets wouldn't hold up a season even with meticulous freshwater wash after every trip.

i have the same ones and i've gotten at least a couple seasons out of them, but i fish a lot less than you do i'm sure. i'm down to fishing maybe 15 days a year :( 

1 hour ago, Reed422 said:

Got some schoolies this weekend, better than nothing. In other news got a new pair of waders off Cabelas and they leaked day one.

Herters?

my son is on year 3 of his.  I thought they would only last a few times.  

got them on a super sale. 

2 hours ago, makomakoman said:

Herters?

my son is on year 3 of his.  I thought they would only last a few times.  

got them on a super sale. 

what are herters? I got White River Montauk. They looked like they were reinforced in the butt and knees so seemed like they would be good on the rocks or wherever. They fit really well and seemed sturdy. My shin was wet when I took them off. I went with the 4most dry plus for the new waders. I will say that I was impressed with customer service, they mailed out my exchange without any kind of payment and emailed me a fedex shipping label. LL would have made me pay the replacements and then refunded me once they received the waders. I may need to spring for those super expensive simms gortex waders and be done with it. 

27 mins ago, Reed422 said:

what are herters? I got White River Montauk. They looked like they were reinforced in the butt and knees so seemed like they would be good on the rocks or wherever. They fit really well and seemed sturdy. My shin was wet when I took them off. I went with the 4most dry plus for the new waders. I will say that I was impressed with customer service, they mailed out my exchange without any kind of payment and emailed me a fedex shipping label. LL would have made me pay the replacements and then refunded me once they received the waders. I may need to spring for those super expensive simms gortex waders and be done with it. 

Herters are the cheapest of the cabela's stuff... lol Not really suited for the rocks though.. 

1 hour ago, makomakoman said:

Herters are the cheapest of the cabela's stuff... lol Not really suited for the rocks though.. 

Ah gotcha. Apparently Cabelas has a two year warranty. I'm sure I'll destroy the ones I get within that time. Still enjoying the ballistic 6000. 

I love all my cabala's gear.....waders, jackets, you name it.  The herter's waders I have were given to me in a pinch.....you come out as wet as if you'd fallen in the water from sweating.

3 hours ago, JaseB said:

Introduced the boy to the world of wade fishing on a little river close by.  Water felt nice surprisingly.  Caught mini SMB, google-eyes, chubs and a million freshwater tarpon.   Also found 4 leftover stockers that came home with us.  Good day.  

Have you ever hellgrammite fished smallies? Not sure if it’s a thing further south but we crush em up the n south east pa with them..... it’s the bait that bites back lol.

13 mins ago, bigfish4me said:

Have you ever hellgrammite fished smallies? Not sure if it’s a thing further south but we crush em up the n south east pa with them..... it’s the bait that bites back lol.

Yup.  Only thing that's better is a big old Madtom.

Effeers are a pain to catch.

6 mins ago, JaseB said:

Yeah.... getting hellies is pretty much a 3 man job, 2 for the seine net and a rock kicker 

7 mins ago, JaseB said:

What is a freshwater tarpon and what's a mad Tom?

1 hour ago, Ditchbag said:

What is a freshwater tarpon and what's a mad Tom?

It's when you take away eclairs from the mayor of the tavern