Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kentucky Fisherman

Need striper rod suggestions

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

One of your freshwater brothers needs some help, guys. I'll be doing two kinds of striper fishing in the weeks ahead: (1) long-distance casting of bucktails and plugs in a dam tailwater, and (2) trolling, mostly bucktails and plugs, but also learning to use an umbrella rig.

I mostly use a 6500CS tricked out with ABEC7 bearings and such for my distance casting efforts. While the 6500 is a decent trolling reel, I have also just ordered a Penn 320GTi with trolling in mind. Oh, yeah, I'm using the 6500 on what are basically 7' MH flipping sticks.

My question is this: What would you recommend for distance casting with a conventional reel in a river tailwater setting, and do I need a radically different rod for flat-line trolling? Cost isn't a huge issue, but I'd like to stay in the $100 range or less if possible. One other thing: my lures will mostly be lighter than the big salt plugs, more in the 1/2 to 1 ounce range. That throws a bit of a twist in the question, right?

Looks like I'm almost gonna be forced to mail order this rod, and I absolutely hate buying a rod without feeling it first. I figured asking some really hands-on folks for recommendations might help keep me from wasting my money. Thanks!

Maybe a 8.5' heavy steelhead rod would work for the distance plugging. Not sure about the trolling. I suggest you take a look at the discount store at danderods.com. Scroll down through the blanks selection until you get to the finished rods. The D&E rods are built on G. Loomis blank using good fuji or pac bay components. D&E was one of the builders of high end Bass Pro and Cabela's rods before those companies shifted their stuff overseas. Also check out the Lamiglas sight which has a bunch of rods on closeout.

Good luck.

I am doing much the same thing you are, with a little less emphasis on distance. I used a muskie pole for several years and was satisfied with it. It was a 7'3" Team Diawa "Bucktail Special", rated for 3/4 to 3oz, and it was effective for the lures you outlined. I do not think it will be acceptable for trolling umbrella rigs.

I presently use a St Croix Ben DOerr 8'6" caasitng rod. It is rated for up to 1 1/2 oz. It does give a little extra distance, but I am having trouble with my hooksets. It seems to lack the guts of the muskie pole.

I have seen people using the steelhead rods while fishing the rivers in SC, and generally have not been real impressed. These rods have a more moderate action, and some of our techniques require a faster taper. Hooksets are easier with a faster taper, too.

Tim's Lami "Bomber Special" might be your best bet for the casting rod.

[This message has been edited by Sweetwater (edited 04-27-2001).]