Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Sushi...White Tuna?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I was at a Sushi restaurant last night and was served a tray of sampler sashimi and assortment of other sushi. There was this bright white fish served Sashimi Style. Bed sheet white. It was fantastic! Smooth and buttery. Never had it before. When I was leaving, I asked the sushi chef what it was. He said, "White Tuna."

Today I googled it and what I am finding out is the bright white tuna is not tuna. It's escolar. If you consume 6oz or more of escolar you risk diariaha. Thankfully I only had 3 pieces.

I'm going on the photo below for comparison. On the left is white tuna on the right is Escolar. I'm 90% sure it was the Escolar. I'm 100 % sure it was not White Tuna. White Tuna appears to be dull pink. What I had was Bed Sheet White.

Any Sushi connoisseurs know the low down with this?

You are absolutely right. I was in Japan for over two month and the white Tuna is light color and more expensive...I have not seen it served over here in common Japanese restaurants...Lucky they did not serve you with skate wings instead of scallops...I think what they thought you asked for "So sue me"....not sashimi biggrin.gif

Most of the time "white tuna" is in fact Escolar or oilfish, as you found out. Real white tuna is generally albacore.

Escolar is delicious, but best eaten in small doses. I'll limit myself to a couple small pieces a night. Wax esters can equal bad news.

Escolar, super white, walu or white tuna. Really delicious stuff, I serve it every night at the Lobar, the sushi bar I run here in Colorado. Did'nt really take off on the sushi scene till about 15 years ago. Typically a by catch on the tuna boats in the pacific, they used to throw them back until they were recognized as worthy table fare. I think its laxative effects are more commonly experienced when eating larger amounts of cooked fish, as opposed to raw. The fish have the general shape and fin structure of a tuna with brown sort of ugly stinky skin, go figure, they are tasty, and people love the stuff.hooked.gif

Thanks for the information guys. Looks like a giant mackerel/bonito. biggrin.gif

Escolar has earned the nickname "EX LAX FISH." In portions over 6 ounces, it causes a condition known as keriorrhoea, which rhymes with another, very similar, malady. The Japanese have banned it since 1977. In the U.S., the FDA banned escolar in 1990, but reversed itself a few years later. As one los angelos chef said, "It is . . . sort of a crap shoot."

Albacore is much paler than your 'regular' maguro (BFT/YFT/etc)... hence the 'white' moniker.

Yeah, not wholly accurate, but then again not many marketing labels are tongue.gif

Not a big fan of escolar. The best sushi fish to me is yellowtail aka hamachi. There is a japanese market in Bline with tons of sushi grade fish to choose from but I think they only have it on the weekend.

View PostAlbacore is much paler than your 'regular' maguro (BFT/YFT/etc)... hence the 'white' moniker.

Yeah, not wholly accurate, but then again not many marketing labels are tongue.gif

Albacore isn't the greatest sushi either....

Goign to have to try this

however everytime I eat sushi no matter what I get its a "laxitive"

View PostAlbacore isn't the greatest sushi either....

Goign to have to try this

however everytime I eat sushi no matter what I get its a "laxitive"

maybe it's the tapeworm?