Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MattE

Lawn Question

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

The seeds already come with fertilizer and pesticide cover like Scotts EZ Seed or Penningtons one step Complete (the blue seeds), are those any good ???

I remember using Scotts patch a few years ago on small areas and it worked fine. Last spring I tried the EZ Seed (supposedly would grow on concrete or any surface) and the results were poor. I am in SE PA, and we had a long drought last summer so I lost even more grass.

After aerating my lawn, I am considering to reseed/repair the lawn either seed+fertilizer+straw or use the EZ Seed or One Step Complete type of material.

I am planning to reseed/repair about 5,000 sq ft, so the convenience of the EZ Seed makes it very attractiveheart.gif , however if the product doesnot work then the financial hit will be proportionately highfrown.gif .

What do you think ?

Could you also give me an idea how much should I budget for this type of work if I am to hire a local lawn company ?

Thanks / Matt

Matt--I would aerate,seed with a brand name ,put starter fertilizer down and keep it moist. I about two weeks you will see grass.

Forget about EZ seed stuff & straw and put the money to buy good seed.

View PostMatt--I would aerate,seed with a brand name ,put starter fertilizer down and keep it moist. I about two weeks you will see grass.

Forget about EZ seed stuff & straw and put the money to buy good seed.

Thanks for advice, much appreciated

Basically I know nothing about lawns and I must confess I do not want to know either., However this morning I rented the aerator and already finished aerating about 3/4ths of the lawn, now having my lunch break

In reality I am allergic to straw/hay/dust etc the moment I touch it it will give me hives, so if I can get it done w/out straw that'll be great highfive.gif . However everybody telling me if I dont put straw on the seeds then birds will eat the seeds etc etc...

- What brand/type seed do you suggest so that I do not need to cover with straw, for example will any Scotts seed do or do I need to get one with a certain coating,

- I believe Scotts is a good quality seed or would you suggest another brand ?

Thanks very much.

Matt

Regarding fertilizer, the local Agway guy suggested I use starter fertilizer, 13-25-12confused.gif I guess thats the right stuff. He didnt mention any brand names though

???

View PostThe seeds already come with fertilizer and pesticide cover like Scotts EZ Seed or Penningtons one step Complete (the blue seeds), are those any good ???

I remember using Scotts patch a few years ago on small areas and it worked fine. Last spring I tried the EZ Seed (supposedly would grow on concrete or any surface) and the results were poor. I am in SE PA, and we had a long drought last summer so I lost even more grass.

After aerating my lawn, I am considering to reseed/repair the lawn either seed+fertilizer+straw or use the EZ Seed or One Step Complete type of material.

I am planning to reseed/repair about 5,000 sq ft, so the convenience of the EZ Seed makes it very attractiveheart.gif , however if the product doesnot work then the financial hit will be proportionately highfrown.gif .

What do you think ?

Could you also give me an idea how much should I budget for this type of work if I am to hire a local lawn company ?

Thanks / Matt

why waste your money on a lawn ?

if you must ... get a good seed and buy some 40 or 50 lb bags of potting soil

get out your wheelbarrow

dump in a bag of soil and mix in the seed thoroughly

when mixed shovel or bare hand the stuff onto the area(s) you wish to replant

seed need to be IN soil - not on top

the straw won't keep birds from pecking at your area(s) - straw is for heavy rain runoff(s)

to retain soil and seeds

if you are working on flat ground - no hay is needed

if it's slopped ground - you need hay/straw to retain what you've put down

if you want - you can mix fertilizer into the mix in the wheelbarrow

you're call

but really - who needs a manicured lawn ??? headscratch.gifconfused.gifheadscratch.gif

all that will get you is a weekly lawn mowing assignment rolleyes.gif

and don't use anything with pesticides or herbicides (remember agent orange in Vietnam ? )

every living thing in your home and your neighborhood will thank you for it!

if your children play on the lawn or you pet is out on it - no good !

I used a Scott product, don't remember the name, but it was coated with some kind of water absorbing material. Birds didn't eat it and germination was great. If you have any issue with keeping newly seeded area watered properly so it doesn't dry out might want to consider this stuff. This usually means watering all of it twice a day but depends on conditions. I covered it with a chopped straw product to keep it from washing out and didn't need to be raked off, just composts in place.

After your planted rather than straw you can use a sprinkle of chopped fine bark mulch as a very,very thin cover to keep the seed from drying out.

You will want to see lawn through the mulch. This will hold moisture and protect from sunburn. Have fun

View Postwhy waste your money on a lawn ?

but really - who needs a manicured lawn ??? headscratch.gifconfused.gifheadscratch.gif

all that will get you is a weekly lawn mowing assignment rolleyes.gif

I know, but married too long I guess hooked.gif

Did I say I hate yard work

Matt-- just what JimW said. I just bought a bag and it is water save coating. Last year I got Pennington at Costco and that worked out good too. Just don't buy a contractor's mix because it is cheap grass. You also have to take into consideration if you have heavy shade.