NPR sting update:

Rate this topic

dogboy

View PostMike Wallace made his career doing that stuff!

Must have missed the interview Wallace did dressed up as a pimp. Seriously, whatever you think of 60 Minutes, do you really want to equate that with this?

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

View PostOne BIG difference - Wallace didn't chop the interviews up into out of context snippets. He had integrity.

Of course he did. That is how television is made.

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

View PostMust have missed the interview Wallace did dressed up as a pimp. Seriously, whatever you think of 60 Minutes, do you really want to equate that with this?

Different styles to be sure. Wallace used to bust in on people unannounced and throw all sorts of accusations at them. It was great TV, although you never got the chance to hear any follow up from the people who were put on the spot. This thing with the NPR is more like the Marion Berry sting I guess, but it's all investigative journalism.

View PostDifferent styles to be sure. Wallace used to bust in on people unannounced and throw all sorts of accusations at them. It was great TV, although you never got the chance to hear any follow up from the people who were put on the spot. This thing with the NPR is more like the Marion Berry sting I guess, but it's all investigative journalism.

Kind of a situation about whose ox is being gored, eh?

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

Seriously, you guys put 60 Minutes on par with Okeefe?

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

View PostJust like football, the only guys who catch a pass out of bounds, play for the other team. biggrin.gif

Not so much. The NPR "sting" was a dishonest piece of smear. When you remove the dishonesty you see some business development dood that left the company saying he was taking off his NPR hat and talking personally made a quasi-offensive statement about Evangelicals while trying to sell a fake donor...what's the big deal? Seriously, when you remove the nonsense, there's not much to see.

Personally, I am a man of integrity. As such, I denouce lying crooks like O'Keefe no matter whether or not I agree with the outcome their lies created. Lying and smearing people is much worse than the ~.00391% of the budget going to them via grants.

View PostNot so much. The NPR "sting" was a dishonest piece of smear. When you remove the dishonesty you see some business development dood that left the company saying he was taking off his NPR hat and talking personally made a quasi-offensive statement about Evangelicals while trying to sell a fake donor...what's the big deal? Seriously, when you remove the nonsense, there's not much to see.

Personally, I am a man of integrity. As such, I denouce lying crooks like O'Keefe no matter whether or not I agree with the outcome their lies created. Lying and smearing people is much worse than the ~.00391% of the budget going to them via grants.

I agree that too much is made about the % of NPR's budget that is taxpayer funded through grants or whatever. I think the "business development dood" smeared himself by what he said. It's a sensationalist piece for sure. Not on par with 60 minutes, I can agree to that. It is investigative journalism though, and sleezy (or 'quasi-offensive') is in the eye of the beholder.

View PostI agree that too much is made about the % of NPR's budget that is taxpayer funded through grants or whatever. I think the "business development dood" smeared himself by what he said. It's a sensationalist piece for sure. Not on par with 60 minutes, I can agree to that. It is investigative journalism though, and sleezy (or 'quasi-offensive') is in the eye of the beholder.

What's being investigated? The personal views of the business development guy that already tendered his resignation?

Do you think O'Keefe is sleazy. Considering that he intentionally editted a video to make it seem like someone's words when they were paraphrasing someone else, I consider him exceptionally sleazy.

View PostDo you think unfounded lies are going to destroy "liberalism"?

No but discrediting the media does.

If you can say that this is the same as 60 minutes,

and Fox is the same as real news,

then you have effectively destroyed the credibility of news.

so truth becomes perception,

there is no harsh facts which you can't wisk away claiming it's a "liberal bias".

Eggy 10-13

LAA 7-14

50-50 2-15