NPR sting update:

Rate this topic

dogboy

View PostBy all means cheer on scum doing scummy acts of slander. Personally, I'm into integrity, and I don't support smear and lies as a means to an end.

As a staunch conservative, what is your plan or idea to defund NPR and end government propaganda and communication

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

View PostI didn't see the full tape, but did read some of the analysis. To me, it looks like both accusations are true. Schiller is a partisan hack and so is O'keefe.

In any case, I generally like NPR. While I don't think it should be publicly funded, I do hope it continues to survive. Just get rid of that awful "The Takeaway" and leave me "The Morning Addition." Morning Addition seems to me to be a lot more politically neutral.

Here's the rub - it's hard to defund NPR. It recieves no direct federal funding and gets it's public funding via grants. Are we going to block NPR from recieving grants? On what grounds?

View PostHere's the rub - it's hard to defund NPR. It recieves no direct federal funding and gets it's public funding via grants. Are we going to block NPR from recieving grants? On what grounds?

On the grounds that it is an inappropriate use of the treasury. The funds may be "grants," but they're still taxpayer dollars, either through the government funded CPB or gov't departments. Defund the CPB and Congress can stipulate to the depts that they cannot issue grants for these purposes.

Public broadcasting does great stuff, but it needs to stand on it's own. It's very nearly there already anyway.

OK let me ask this. For those of you under 50 you probably don't remember, but this is exactly how the show 60 minutes got their start. Those guys did the same stuff, only they did it with interviews (couldn't get a camera implanted in your forehead back then). They would go to the mark and pretend to be someone else and set them up. Later they would barge in with the camera and mic, asking questions.

Those guys are "pioneers", and James O'keefe is somehow the bad guy.

Could it be the political persuasion of the people that O'keefe sets up that is causing some people to be upset?

Of course it is.

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

View PostExactly what does "exposed" mean if the allegations made via the heavily edited footage are B.S.? Faked "sting" videos are a good thing? How?

I watched the entire footagekooky.gif

It was not altered. It was cut down. Maybe one or two of the cuts are 'questionable' as to where they take place, but I did not see alot of mixing up sequences or altering time lines. It was simply cut down.

After watching the whole thing its clear what Mr. Schiller's thoughts are and they jive perfectly with the cut down version.

If O'Keefe put out the entire footage, nobody would watch it,,,,sadly. In America we have a very short att......

Hey Look! Robins outside my window!HappyWave.gif

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

View PostOn the grounds that it is an inappropriate use of the treasury. The funds may be "grants," but they're still taxpayer dollars, either through the government funded CPB or gov't departments. Defund the CPB and Congress can stipulate to the depts that they cannot issue grants for these purposes.

Public broadcasting does great stuff, but it needs to stand on it's own. It's very nearly there already anyway.

I heard a nice tidbit last week. The liberals in Congress were giving speeches and tossing soundbites about how people were attacking Elmo (a Sesame Street puppet), those bad men wanted to get rid of Elmo.

Problem is that Elmo and his puppet friends knock down around a quarter billion in toy sales per yearcwm27.gifcwm27.gif.

In fact, Elmo is one of the "more than his fair share" people that the leftists here excoriate on a regular basis. But I guess its a little different when its "their money".

Ayn Rand

View PostCan you prove this is true? If not, some might think so many people are so quick to believe the best.

If in fact O'Keefe was misrepresenting the truth, then Schiller should see a lawyer. If O'Keefe wasn't, then you have some 'splaining to do.

give DB a little credit- i heard the whole statement too- it was edited to make it sound like it was schiller's thought on the subject- it was 2 republican bigwigs who confided in him that they voted for obama, and their reason why

View PostHere's the rub - it's hard to defund NPR. It recieves no direct federal funding and gets it's public funding via grants. Are we going to block NPR from recieving grants? On what grounds?

nearly all of their federal funding is for a couple of years down the road

unfortunately, if the feds pull the plug, it will be the small market stations that will feel it the most

it would be too bad- there are enough ads for buying gold, selling gold, fixing your debt problems, making a killing in real estate, and over the counter remedies for a limp dingus

it's nice to have a spot on the dial where they don't air all that crap

View Postnearly all of their federal funding is for a couple of years down the road

unfortunately, if the feds pull the plug, it will be the small market stations that will feel it the most

it would be too bad- there are enough ads for buying gold, selling gold, fixing your debt problems, making a killing in real estate, and over the counter remedies for a limp dingus

it's nice to have a spot on the dial where they don't air all that crap

That "crap" is the reason there is a radio in your car. Were you under the impression you have a car radio because someone is just dying to tell you what the weather is? Or to play you a Justin Beeber tune?

Ayn Rand

View PostThat "crap" is the reason there is a radio in your car. Were you under the impression you have a car radio because someone is just dying to tell you what the weather is? Or to play you a Justin Beeber tune?

i listen to enough of it as it is

nice to be able to escape it now and then

and it is exactly that- crap-no reason to put it in quotes

View PostOK let me ask this. For those of you under 50 you probably don't remember, but this is exactly how the show 60 minutes got their start. Those guys did the same stuff, only they did it with interviews (couldn't get a camera implanted in your forehead back then). They would go to the mark and pretend to be someone else and set them up. Later they would barge in with the camera and mic, asking questions.

Those guys are "pioneers", and James O'keefe is somehow the bad guy.

Could it be the political persuasion of the people that O'keefe sets up that is causing some people to be upset?

Of course it is.

Mike Wallace made his career doing that stuff!